best Fly Combo Travel Kit for under$150?

123chadder

hey everyone,...
i dont do a lot of fly fishing,but i do a few trips a year and would love to have a quality fly combo,but carrying a 9' rod through the bush is not fun.id like a 4-6 piece kit with line,backing and a few flies..preferrably both floating and sinking line....
i remember seeing a nice kit a few years ago,but i forget the name.does anyone know of a good travel combo kit?

I have never seen a kit that can do what you are asking.

Build your own "kit", I would say an 8wt atleast. If you want keep the price down watch for sales, Cabelas has a travel fly rod that I heard was good you could look at. My first travel fly rod was a cheap Bass Pro one with a reel I got for about $60 on 50% off sale and ... it worked. I upgraded to a March Brown later but one would use up your whole budget> For a reel I have an Okuma SLV it is a reasonable reel. I would suggest going a size up in reel and having a bit of extra backing. The line is your choice.

So a Bass Pro or Cabelas 4+ 8wt fly rod and reel, Say $100 (if you don't watch for sales)

+ a Okuma SLV another $70

+ Lines for both reels $100

Less than $300 ... or maybe around $200 if you are wait and watch and are not in a rush.

plus backing and leaders

I would suggest watching here or some other forums and also watching Kijiji you MIGHT find someone selling what you are looking for or close enough.

Good Luck

Edited by mosquito

thanx for the info,

after about 4 hours on google i found this to be the best value

http://www.orvis.com/p/encounter-8-weight-9-fly-rod-outfit/8p45

its in my price range and its very highly reviewed.

I was looking at this a while back. That rod is $159 USD. The website states $45 standard shipping to Canada. Duty and taxes, its probably closer to $300 CAD.

Ummm, where are you fishing? An 8wt may be a little overkill depending on the size of lakers you're talking about. If you're just talking smaller back lake lakers around here I'd consider a 6wt. And for the line I'd look to see if you could find a Versitip system for sale (they retail for around $160 but you should be able to find one cheaper, DO NOT skimp out on line, it is by far the most important part of your setup) that way you get all of your lines in one and save on an extra spool/reel. For a rod I'd look towards Echo or TFO, both make very good starter rods, again you could look towards something used. For a reel take a look at an SLV as suggested or even a Flystart from Ross.

Edited by Christopher k

most trout are between 3-5 lbs,but there are monsters in the lake!30+ pounders

i have a leadcore set up.

seriously thinking of this...

http://www.costco.ca/Amundson-Top-Expedition-Fly-fishing-Outfit.product.100129783.html

there is also this:

http://www.costco.ca/Amundson-Mirage-Fly-fishing-Outfit.product.100119890.html

Edited by 123chadder

it seems like you're tying to keep the budget around $200?

If you're a casual fly angler and want to switch lines, I'd go with that first costco combo and buy a sinking line for one of the cassettes...it will do everything you want it to

if you have a bigger budget, say 400 or so, then lots of other options open up ;)

a lot of fly guys (all fisherman in general really) are huge gear hounds, always flipping gear...browsing classifieds would be a good idea as well

its ice out,so fish will be shallower,from surface to about 25 fow....we target deeper water,40-70 feet,and look for structure at about 15-25 feet called a food shelf,lead core does great job,and fairly accurate...

but last year i saw trout feeding on the surface numerous times and i think a fly set up would be a blast!especially ripping streamers with sinking line

If you're a casual fly angler and want to switch lines, I'd go with that first costco combo and buy a sinking line for one of the cassettes...it will do everything you want it to

i feel the same way,ill only be using it a few times a year....im still debating whether i should get a 6 or 8 weight,6 is more versatile,but i dont want to tangle with a trophy trout on a 6 weight rod,especially a smaller 6 weight reel

OK, Lake Trout at that weight a 6wt would work and if you go with the 6wt and don't get a kit I strongly suggest you go a size larger in the reel with that bit of extra backing that is a bit heavier and a drag like on the Okuma SLV. You hook that 1 in a thousand fish and have a clicker reel or not enough backing and you will be rather upset.. ALSO ALWAYS... ALWAYS have the backing have a higher lb rating than the leader. If you get a run or a snag that has backing out you want the weak point to be the leader, watching the line zip out no longer attatched to the reel STINKS!!!! Hook, leader. line and some backing all gone... you are done unless you have a spare reel ready to go.

I still suggest the 8wt and the Okuma SLV 8/9 or bigger reel.

I don't know the Costco's but Cabelas has free shipping right now and there is this 6wt

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/29226/st-croix-rio-santo-fly-fishing-outfit

and this has a 9' 8wt 4 piece that is backorderable... double check the shipping is still free if you backorder.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/71436/cabelas-prestige-collection-fly-outfit

At this time of year and heading on towards spring, watch and wait is my suggestion, know what you want but wait. Clearances, boxing days, Kijiji... lots of options and savings if you take your time.

Definitely 8 wt if you want to get down , with fly tackle the light lines don't sink that fast or as deep cause they are lighter, whodda thunk :tease:

My fav for dragging the depths was a 280 or 300 grain 30 foot shooting head on a 8/9 wt rod, used a 100 feet 20# or so Maxima Mono for shooting line on top of the backing. Cast like a bullet and worked 15 to 20 foot depth great with Muddlers or Wooly Buggers for Haliburton Smallies.

Definitely 8 wt if you want to get down , with fly tackle the light lines don't sink that fast or as deep cause they are lighter, whodda thunk :tease:

My fav for dragging the depths was a 280 or 300 grain 30 foot shooting head on a 8/9 wt rod, used a 100 feet 20# or so Maxima Mono for shooting line on top of the backing. Cast like a bullet and worked 15 to 20 foot depth great with Muddlers or Wooly Buggers for Haliburton Smallies.

im new to fly fishing,and your last paragraph went right over my head!lol

i think i understand....so really only need 30 feet of fly line?

yes it is like you purchasing the 30 foot tip section of a weight forward flyline and then using mono as the the running line instead of the light level flyline that normally comes with a WF line . You lose in finesse but gain in depth and distance cast, the finesse is not critical when fishing sub surface. Google shooting head flyline and you should get the idea. Mono is good for a sinking head but for floating heads you can get light level floating flyline specifically for that use.