i know it's underpowered, but...

ilario

Here's my rather confusing 'dilemma'!

Can I get by with a 9.9 HP 4 stoke (Honda) on a 14' fiberglass? Or would it be way to underpowered? I went out of my way to find a beauty Honda (as you may recall, I had a thread going several days back as I was servicing it...). I did not have the fiberglass boat when I bought the Honda but I came across a deal I couldn't refuse so I bought the fiberglass boat today. My older boat is an 14' aluminum so it's lighter (with very little equipment to weigh it down)..but that's about to be sold.

The motor that was sold with the fiberglass is an older (late 50's) 18 hp evinrude but it runs really well and the previous owner took really good care of it. I'd rather stick with the newer, quieter 'smokeless' 4 stroke (the fumes on 2 strokes really bother me) and maybe sell the 18hp even though it pushes the fiberglass better..

any suggestions?

thanks!

DSCN1289.JPG

If your not looking for blast off speeds and just want to putt around yer good.

Nice clean looking motor.

BTW What kind a glass boat,you got a pic of it.Or did I misit

Ya, I'm really happy with the Honda purchase... i'd like to post a pic but it says the file is larger than the available space, and I don;t know how to resize it...!

If I figure it out, I will post it!

That is the smallest 100 HP motor I have ever seen :D

My nephew has the same motor but 7.5HP and it pushes his 14' fiberglass no problem. As others said, won't get anywhere quickly and the old lady could take you in a race but it is a nice quiet motor that will get you around in the new fiberglass.

Ya may want to hold onto the older one that came with the boat though for abit until you are sure you are happy with the 10HP

Edited by steve_paul