Fishing spots on Maitland river in Goderich

huzzsaba

Wondering what are the best spots for fishing around Goderich. Point Farms being our favourite camping spot, we go there a few times every year.

Looking at the map, I see the only place around there being the harbor where Maitland river starts off lake Huron on the road that leads to the Sifto Factory and under hwy 2 bridge. Is this correct? Is fishing allowed in these spots.

I was checking the regulations for Zone 16, and it mentions that Pacific Salmon, Rainbow trout, and Brown trout is open until December 31st on Maitland river from Hwy 21 until county Rd 4. Am I reading this right?

Where do you park to get to the river under the bridge?

Thanks

Google Earth is your friend on this one. Access points are easy to spot on the computer, and easy to find when driving. I know because I just did it.

If you are actually looking for someone to provide detailed directions, it probably won't happen.

Especially since your first post is asking for directions to a fishing destination.

Edited by floatman55

Since this is your first post and as noted you are fishing for spots, I won't go into detail...

If you really are a fan of Point Farms you should be easily able to find the parking spot for walking down to the river just off the highway. If the water is fishable condition wise, it is all but guaranteed that from the last 2 weeks in Aug until a couple weeks after opener in the spring. You will see all sorts of vehicles parked in a huge area. Once you park, you will notice there are well worn paths down to the river. Pick your spot and have fun.

The same applies all along the road down to the harbour, it isn't a secret that is too hard to figure out. On favourable weather days, typically you will have 20 to 50 people all walking in one direction in the magic hour just before dawn, all wearing waders, a few carrying multiple rods in case just one doesn't stand out, and wearing vests with multiple pockets. Follow them, because most likely they have same thought in mind you have. LOL.

Once you go 10 or 20 times and talk respectfully to the regulars, have shown them you know where Tim Hortons is by bringing down a few extra cups of double double if you get there at the crack of Hank (9AM for outsiders) some of them just might show you how to get to the spots closer to highway 4, which is where the fun really begins...

Thanks for all the replies. I just got into fishing this year and I am just exploring the areas. I live in Oakville but have been camping at least twice at Point Farms each summer. Since there is not much to do at the campground, I figured it would be nice to get some fishing done.

I always peek over to the right when driving over the river on hwy 21, and never really saw anyone there, which is why I was wondering if it is allowed there. Same with the harbor, the one time I went there, Didn't see anyone fishing.

I understand most people will not give away the "good spots" just like that, and I realized I mentioned finding the "best spots" in my original post, but that is not my intention. I am just trying to find a place in general where I wouldn't get in trouble fishing lol. Being a beginner, a 1lb fish would make my day at this point :D

Edited by huzzsaba

I always peek over to the right when driving over the river on hwy 21, and never really saw anyone there, which is why I was wondering if it is allowed there. Same with the harbor, the one time I went there, Didn't see anyone fishing.

Well it couldn't have been chrome time with fishable water before 2pm then if you didn't see cars there...

You don't see much fishing in the harbour because the mine manager HATES recreational anglers with a passion. He has done everything he can to stop any kind of fishing on the north side, since the tornado hit. I have heard the city council pinned his ears back a bit and certain areas are open again under certain conditions. However, I can't say that is true because, I haven't had the time to go up and check it out. Also none of my perch catching buddies have called and said the feed is on, so it hasn't been high on my list of priorities yet. LOL

• 5 years later...

New to the group.  I fished the Maitland a few weeks ago with Guide Mike Verhoef.  Beautiful River.   Im thinking about coming back up Saturday or Sunday.   Is there access points along Forresters Line or am i best to fish near the bridge at Sharpes Creek?  Oh yeah, im a fly fisherman.