Outboard Help - Into Gear

Can_38

All was well running outboard on my last trip out (all season actually, had new lower end installed) but when I got back to the ramp it acted up on me. When I shift the throttle into forward I hear the rpms increase but it didn't engage into gear....give it a tad more or less throttle and BANG into gear it went. If I had a passenger standing they would go for a tumble + it can't be good for it to jump into gear at higher rpm's.

1994 40hp (get ready for it) Force by Mercury. Lets save the Force bashing for another thread :)

Any tips would be appreciated.

You don't indicate whether it's tiller or remote controls - if remote single stick it may be just a minor cable adjustment or loose connection on the shifter cable. Pop the cowl and move the lever back & forth to see the action of throttle and shift, shift should occur before the throttle advances (make sure the fast idle lever is all the way down on the remote). Look for the shift cable not being seated right and/or try a bit of adjustment on the threaded portion (might have to unclip it and remove it to adjust). Also check the lower unit gear oil - see if it's really dirty (ie ground up gears) but I'd think that would really show in performance when in gear as well.

IF none of that helps get it back to the mechanic that did the lower unit - could be an issue in there as well.

Michael

Sorry, its remote side console. Gut feeling has nothing to do with the lower unit work as it has performed great all season up until now. Possible the fast idle was not all the way down...i'll double check that and hope that is all it was :).

Performance regardless is fine. Speed, planning etc..all normal so I am leaning towards a hopeful adjustment that some how changed while out last weekend.

Edited by Can_38

All was well running outboard on my last trip out (all season actually, had new lower end installed)

Who swapped out the lower unit?

There is a linkage rod that runs to the gear case. In order to remove the lower unit the linkage rod must be disconnected.

Over the years I've encountered similar problems after replacing a water pump impeller.

Sounds to me like the linkage rod may need a little tweeking.

Cables have been known to slip over time. They too can prevent forward and reverse from properly engaging.

Given the recent replacement of the lower unit, I'm betting it's just a matter of adjusting the linkage rod.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Not to take away from the OP,but I did notice my I/O during the last part of the summer going into reverse ,kind of in and out if you know what I mean but not jumping out of gear if that makes sense?..Forward has never been so smooth.I will look at the linkage as well,as I believe something has come a bit loose or the nut stops have come loose.Another job to check out come spring.

Some solid advice hear,good luck with problem..Hopefully no problem soon.