Haliburton water temps

singingdog

i was in north haliburton highlands last weekend and the water temp was 59 degrees,and got a few very nice smallies but had to work for them but the warm temps this week should hold it at least steady for a few days...the green fish should be a little more eager with the sunny warm days....and the brown fish are busting bait on the surface too.....ahhh...i love fall fishing

Last weekend north Haliburton surface temp was 15C. Thought the lake trout would be active and staging on/around shoals for the spawn but only got bottom and a piece of wood to bite. Previous weekend caught a couple about 30 feet down. Last two years the bite reallly slowed down for me.

i would think bass would still be in more relatively shallower feeding areas as opposed to the deeper summer/wintertime haunts, or at least in transition to do so. Enjoying the last of the warm surface temps and the forage that follow it. Does that make sense?

Also I have read that areas/techniques successful in the spring/opener can also be true come fall time, can anyone comment?

I think they are on the move now, following schools of baitfish, and often in open water. One lake I fish, they will be in 5 FOW for awhile, then out over 80 FOW. I do a lot of gull/loon watching this time of year to figure out where the baitfish are. Find them and it can be hot and heavy for a few minutes, then more searching.

Yesterday up in the Bancroft area I saw smallies busting bait on the surface early in the morning & very late in the day just before sunset !!!! They really got active for about an hour I had surface temps as high as 72 in shallow 7-10 foot bays and main lake temps at around 65 !!!! Wow .... That sun has warmed the lake up a bit and yes they are only surface temps but it has not been windy for a few days so once that mixes up should turn them on a bit !!!! And speaking of loons I seen my first grey throat loon of the year yesterday !!!! So they are atarting to make their way down from way up north !!!! They make a stop in sturgeon lake. For a week or 2 every year and there will be a few dozen around and just like majic they disappear and sure enough within 2-3 days the first skim of ice is on the lake !!!! It's amazing they know when it's time to leave !!!!! So we always know when the ice is Comming as they just vanish !!!! You will see lots one day & gone the next !!!!!! I love the loons as well !!!! Cheers

not halibutron but nearby, i checked everywhere but shallow on lake of bays yesterday, and was fishing 12-6pm so that didn't help the odds at all. I did mark balls of bait, very small (baitfish), some on offshore breaks in 30+ft, some on top of 20 ft along wind blown shoreline, all sorts of activity on a shoreline bluff dropping to 100ft, but didn't mark any "fish" per say...needless to say was a very nice day to skunk, I certainly enjoyed the weather at least...63.5F