Wed/Thurs Bass Fishing Report

MCTFisher9120

Hey everybody, hope this past summer was good to all of you and now that Fall is well under way I hope you all get out there once or twice it's so quiet this time of year on the lakes makes for a relaxing day. I wanted to make a short write up on a recent trip. I got the opportunity to bring a friend fishing for a day and a morning this past week. We made the trip early Wednesday morning. Leaving Oshawa around 5am we got to the lake shortly after 8 or 9 in the morning.

The lake was glass flat at first. As soon as we got the boat in the water we read the water temp at about 66 degrees. In past trips I made this time of year the water temps were from 63 to 68 degrees. I kept a open mind and went off of some new smallmouth tactics I learned this past August. We got on the water, each with 7 or 8 rods in the boat we had lot's to throw at the bass. I started using a combo of a 3.5" Green Pumpkin tube and a 110+ Jerkbait, getting the bait down 7 or 8 ft on 10lb Fluoro I had a little 2lbr come up right away in 22ft close to a rock pile a half hr into the day. I was stoked, my buddy then got 2 smaller largies on a crank bait in the same spot.

We drifted down further and I got one on the plastic, was a solid high 3lb fish made my morning. Great fight on the light line.

DSCF4921_zps8b639dac.jpg

Well after this we took our time out in 2 spots where both little fish and pike were all to be found. It was qr to noon at this point so I wanted to see if a bay I love to hit only this time of year would produce a largemouth or two. I decided to hang back a little with his boat and just work the swim bait up through the pads. My friend threw a toad style frog subsurface and got a pair of smaller largemouth. I got the first bite in the bed, was a solid largemouth bass. What a good bite. We were 1 degree warmer in close to the cover here.

DSCF4924_zps1ca6db8d.jpg

After this we headed in for lunch and got back out on the lakes around 1 or 2pm. We headed to a big stretch where I get good largemouth usually. This time not so much, we pitched and worked baits slow with no luck, just 2 small bass in the hr or 2 we were there and a few baby pike.

I moved to another smallmouth location where my friend nailed a mid 2lb range smallie on the jerk bait. Made me happy, we went pitching again in some semi shallow semi deep wood/rock cover with no luck striking out with a few 1lb baby bass for the late afternoon and a 4 or 5lb pike. I was happy to have a tight line at that point haha.

The next morning we got out late for a few hours. I again was the Pike master with 2 on the line but I struck out for bass, my friend got a nice chunky fish for the cold morning and new wind that came up overnight.

DSCF4935_zpsb1cfdb70.jpg

Made me happy. Enjoyed my little trip and relaxed a little. Might have 1 or 2 more day trips left in me for to cap off the season but in the Kawartha lakes see what these close to home fish are doing

Thanks for reading everybody!

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Awesome mike !!! Some nice quality fish man !!!! Love the colors on those brown & green fish !!!!! That's a nice spot you have and always produces some big uns !!!!! Thanks for sharing !!!! Cheers

O man it was a tough go, that afternoon was a struggle with a few pike and smaller bass caught. The morning made up for it. I'll find 4lb+ Smallies next summer, the lakes are small but I know there is a small population of big bass…Might not be easy like Simcoe/StClair/Erie etc…but the hunt excites me. Nothing better than mastering and mastering your own lake one spot at a time ;)

Thanks for the kudos, were off to some local lakes this week for 2 day trips.

MTBF

Thanks for the comments guys, was a fun day. I got out last week for a day on Stoney, had a blast catching smallies. No real size to them, we had some in the low to high 2lb class but constant action on jerk baits all day.

Thats a new Talon you got there, is it the 10 or 12 and how do you like it?

I may upgrade my 8 footer to the 12

Hey Matt, it's actually not my boat my friends boat. He had the 8' last summer had issues and moved to this new 12' Talon. Rock solid, much better design. We were holding off a point in 11ft 8" of water and it struck down and held us on a point in a low wind. Used it lot's in the pads and other locations. The new soft/hard bottom feature is nice.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher