Just saw the new Navionics Fish Finder add on... I knew it!

Raycaster

Predicted on this board probably 2 years ago that a bluetooth fish finder option would be available to run wireless with Navionics.

I'm a tech geek at heart and have been watching the launch of the "go deeper" sonar unit but without maps and gps not ideal. They may have changed things not sure.

Anyways, noticed a fishfinder option on Navionics yesterday with a "demo". Basically the demo just shows a fishfinder readout running under the maps. The app appears free within Navionics (could be wrong...) but you would of course need the hardware. The hardware is by Vexilar "T-Box" and looks like a simple transducer ($150 US).

The price seems right and then just adding a cheap no-name 10" tablet with GPS and it could be a nice combo. A usb charger onboard would probably be necessary to keep on all day.

I read some of the reviews and there are a few complaints that its really not setup for icefishing and some tablets have problems with the wifi as its a hotspot not internet access. Some tablets will jump from access point to access point looking for best internet connection.

Well I guess holding out for a Side Scanner model would be nice but I think being able to play back routes with fish patterns might be handy. Heck I could see spending a few days re-mapping your personal lake with updated contours and stumps/rock etc.

May not be up there with the pro equipment but for $300 (Tablet + Navionics + T-Box) it looks pretty inviting.

Didn't post links, I'm sure its not hard to find more info.

Not a lot of info on the specs.

No reference to the units wattage.

I can't see this replacing most boat units. Small phone screen size and limited battery life are problems. Having phone plugged into a charger does not seem convienent.

Most phones don't handle the elements well either.

I literally had this conversation with my dad this weekend after i Questioned how Lawrence could ever justify giving a fantastic GPS with such a small screen, but never providing you the option of simply having a GPS unit and then connecting whatever the hell screen you want to it.

Here is the solution!

As someone mentioned, why wouldnt you want a nice big screen, the days of navigating on a 6 inch monitor are over!

You can pick up a cheap 10" tablet with GPS under $150 instead of phone. I have a Samsung Tab 10" that is nice with navionics. Don't need a high end tablet, just a cheap kijiji used one. Just need a good mount and some weather proofing and away you go.

If anyone is looking for the "Hump" on LSC, here it is.

20140908_120905 (Small).jpg

20140908_120852 (Small).jpg

Edited by Raycaster

I got one of these as a gift through work. It's pretty cool. You can pair it with the $15 navionics app and have it as a split screen with gps and fish finder with the most recent navionics update. I've got it hooked up with a 7 inch android tablet which is a little small but works. Also pretty cool that everyone with a smartphone in your boat can connect to it at once

Edited by B_Dan