Mid Aug walleye trip in north western Quebec

Tomcat

Our group of 4 seniors departed Ottawa in two vehicles at 0930 hours on Friday 15 Aug. We stopped for lunch at the Rock River Cafe in Deep River. It is located at the back of the Petro Canada gas station on Hwy 17. We all had a great lunch there and we will be dining there again for sure. Another 300 kms down the road we stopped for supper. And finally 3 hours later, we arrived at our destination shortly after 2000 hours. After a great breakfast Saturday morning, we settled our bills and loaded our boats for our week of walleye fishing.We were the only fishermen on the lake for the week.

The lake was new water for all of us. My fishing partner and I burnt almost 20 gallons of gas (15 HP Honda 4 stroke) exploring the lake and searching for walleye. Running the lake required constant attention to our sonar unit because you could go from 30 FOW to less than 6 FOW in a hurry. Surface water temperature averaged 19 degrees for the week. The lake was scenically pretty with numerous deep basins holding lake trout. Unfortunately, the two fellows fishing lake trout only managed to boat one nice Lake Trout during the week. We enjoyed better success fishing walleye. Quality outweighed quantity in our first experience on this lake. My fishing partner caught the largest walleye at 27 inches.

1-IMG_2105.JPG

Another walleye caught by my fishing partner had been caught before as evidenced by the stringer hook

02317.JPG

While bottom bouncing for walleye with a leech in 20 FOW, I caught and released a 43 inch northern.

01253.JPG

The 10 or so minutes required to revive her were about equal to the length of our battle.

01644.JPG

Here's the results of a few hours fishing after supper one evening.

1-IMG_2112.JPG

We had no difficulty catching 14 to 17 inch walleye for the two walleye meals we enjoyed during the week. Another fishing trip in the books and everyone is fine. I'm already looking forward to next years trips.

Jay