Which GPS do you use??

Chugger

I have an old (1990/91 - 5 channel Lowrance LMS 300 GPS. Sonar and GPS unit.

Still works fine and gets the job done.

Also have a more recent handheld 12 channel Magellan 320/330 ? GPS unit. The exact model # escapes me right now, but it works fine too.

Just eats too many batteries. 2 AA's last approx. 2 hours, but I have the cig. lighter socket adapter if required.

If I had to buy another GPS fixed unit, I'd probably lean towards Lowrance again, but always keep

an open mind as there are some nice units from other manufacturers to compare with.

Good luck !!!

Yup. The topo map is great, it shows everything except water depth. And I mean everything!

Doug. The GPS Quebec maps that I have show tons more than topo Canada. I have both. Beaver dams, rocks in lakes and rivers, rapids, swamps, treed and cleared areas, trails that have been there forever... I can go on and on. I posted a link to it in my first thread, but it doesn't show the Ontario maps anymore . Shame. From what I've heard the Ontario Government (MNR) uses these maps. If you want a screen shot of a specific area, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty much set up for maps with my Garmin 60 csx. I have topo Canada and topo USA, North American navigator version 8, GPS Quebec all of Ontario and Bluechart Americas. I first used my GPS for navigating last month when I flew from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg. It was within one or two mph of the plane GPS at 550 mph. I was impressed. Once I landed in Winnipeg, it took me from the Winnipeg airport to The Pas Manitoba, which was my destination. That was about a 400 mile drive. And it took me back again no problem. For accessories I've bought 3 one GB micro SD cards, so I don't have to keep uploading maps, my ram suction cup mount, and a 12 volt cigarette plug in adapter, which is awesome not only because you're not using your batteries up, but the back light is on all the time. A big plus when your driving in low light conditions or at night. This is a new toy for me and I'm impressed and having lots of fun with it. I'll never be without one again I'm sure.

I'm pretty much set up for maps with my Garmin 60 csx. I have topo Canada and topo USA, North American navigator version 8, GPS Quebec all of Ontario and Bluechart Americas. I first used my GPS for navigating last month when I flew from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg. It was within one or two mph of the plane GPS at 550 mph. I was impressed. Once I landed in Winnipeg, it took me from the Winnipeg airport to The Pas Manitoba, which was my destination. That was about a 400 mile drive. And it took me back again no problem. For accessories I've bought 3 one GB micro SD cards, so I don't have to keep uploading maps, my ram suction cup mount, and a 12 volt cigarette plug in adapter, which is awesome not only because you're not using your batteries up, but the back light is on all the time. A big plus when your driving in low light conditions or at night. This is a new toy for me and I'm impressed and having lots of fun with it. I'll never be without one again I'm sure.

I plan to get myself a Garmin 60 CSX . Not sure if I should get Cx or CSx. Only difference is CSX has Electronic compass & barometric altimeter. That is the only difference.

DanC, Why 3x 1GB memory card? Can you not load all the maps to a larger memory card and use it same time? or is not possible?

I currently have a Garmin Street Pilot C320 and it is possible to load more than one compatible map on to the unit and either I can pick and choose which map to use or check all map to use all at once. Only thing is I get a menu asking which map I would like to use when I try to enter a new address/location to go.

Trick to load multiple map is to load it all together. Because when you load a map and later on load other type of map it will wipe out the any previous map in the memory card.

Because I was planning to get a 4GB memory card to dump everything in there.

Oh... 60 Cx/CSx feature is exactly same as 76 series other than that 76series floats on water.

But personally 60 series looks cooler :)

Edited by mikeymikey

I plan to get myself a Garmin 60 CSX . Not sure if I should get Cx or CSx. Only difference is CSX has Electronic compass & barometric altimeter. That is the only difference.

DanC, Why 3x 1GB memory card? Can you not load all the maps to a larger memory card and use it same time? or is not possible?

I currently have a Garmin Street Pilot C320 and it is possible to load more than one compatible map on to the unit and either I can pick and choose which map to use or check all map to use all at once. Only thing is I get a menu asking which map I would like to use when I try to enter a new address/location to go.

Trick to load multiple map is to load it all together. Because when you load a map and later on load other type of map it will wipe out the any previous map in the memory card.

Because I was planning to get a 4GB memory card to dump everything in there.

Oh... 60 Cx/CSx feature is exactly same as 76 series other than that 76series floats on water.

But personally 60 series looks cooler :)

mikeymikey... I chose the 60 CSx over the 60Sx simply because of the fact that the price difference was minimal and I'd hate to discover that I wanted the extra two features and decided not to buy them for another 40 or 50 bucks. When I buy something like this I do tons of research to see what I'm buying. Besides the floating feature of the 76 series machine, they are identical. Some may argue that the 76 GPS has a tide feature, and it does. But that's just an upload and I have it on my 60 now. It's not much use to me really. But I do hope that I never need that floating feature that the 76 has. Besides the obvious feature differences, I've read about a few pluses for the 60. They both claim to have the same antennae but I've read several reports from people that have tested both machines, that say that the 60CSx has significantly better reception that the 76CSx. Surely there's a reason for that external antennae? I've also read bad reviews about the design of the 76. Since the control buttons are on top of the machine, your hand (thumb) blocks the screen when using the buttons one handed. I've never used a 76 but that makes sense to me. And yes I agree. The 60 series looks wayyyy cooler!!!

About the multi 1 GB cards, I get them for a song on EBay. I just bought 4 of them the other day for $70.00 Canadian. I'll sell three of them to guys I work with and get mine free. Don't tell them that though. I've tried loading dual maps from the same area and have had problems. So I'd just as soon put my maps on different cards. It works for me. Enjoy your machine mikeymikey. You'll wonder how you existed without one.

I have two older units. A Lowrance fixed unit (5 channel) and a Magellan hand held.(12 channel)

The Lowrance is easier to use in my opinion. The handheld eats batteries very quickly, so I usually use it

with the lighter socket adapter in the truck or on the boat. I guess an ATV could have a socket to plug it in, but if you're lost in the woods on foot, two AA batteries last only a couple of hours. :o

We had a smaller boat that I wanted to use the Lowrance/GPS with.

I rigged a board with the fixed unit mounted to it, GPS antenna included.

Another narrow board has the transducer and speed/temp. mounted on it.

This gets clamped to any boat transom and you have a portable sonar/GPS,

provided there's a 12 volt battery to connect the power wires. The whole thing

fits into an old milk crate for transportation.

Not the most sophisticated looking set up, but it's worked O.K. since the early 90's.

I even took it out ice fishing when we had a snowmobile and sleigh.

Didn't have the hand held back then.

Good luck with your choice.

Doug. The GPS Quebec maps that I have show tons more than topo Canada. I have both. Beaver dams, rocks in lakes and rivers, rapids, swamps, treed and cleared areas, trails that have been there forever... I can go on and on. I posted a link to it in my first thread, but it doesn't show the Ontario maps anymore . Shame. From what I've heard the Ontario Government (MNR) uses these maps. If you want a screen shot of a specific area, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

An American colleague recently purchased a Garmin 76CSx to facilitate his enjoyment of fishing Quebec lakes, particularly in the Abitibi/Temiscamingue area. However, due to the plethora of mapping chips available, he has yet to purchase any mapping software for his unit. Based on your comments about the GPS Quebec products, can you easily recommend them for his fishing use. While there are bathymetric maps available for the lakes he normally fishes, none of that information is available on a chip, not even from Navionics Hotmaps Premium. Thanks in advance.

An American colleague recently purchased a Garmin 76CSx to facilitate his enjoyment of fishing Quebec lakes, particularly in the Abitibi/Temiscamingue area. However, due to the plethora of mapping chips available, he has yet to purchase any mapping software for his unit. Based on your comments about the GPS Quebec products, can you easily recommend them for his fishing use. While there are bathymetric maps available for the lakes he normally fishes, none of that information is available on a chip, not even from Navionics Hotmaps Premium. Thanks in advance.

Tomcat, Garmin topo Canada is fine for navigating in urban areas and, depending on your wants and needs, is fine for getting around in the outdoors. But if you're looking for much more detail in the outdoors, GPS Quebec is the answer. I've posted a couple of screen shot comparisons below. You can clearly see the difference. A few things that GPS Quebec shows that topo Canada doesn't are beaver dams, rapids, rocks, rock pits or quarrys, treed and untreed areas, towers, and more topographical detail.

GPS3.jpg

GPS4.jpg

GPS1.jpg

GPS2.jpg

No one has mentioned price. My black and white Lowerance H20 (waterproof) plus topo map down to the stream level of All of Ontario and most of Quebec and Manitoba cost $300 at my local fishing store. That was a year ago. Could be cheaper now. Also Lowerance is plug in and play. Put the chip in and you are off to the races. I've never used software from a computer.

DanC:

Thanks very much for providing the comparison of the charts available from the two different sources. My colleague definitely showed some interest in the GPS Quebec product when I referred him to this thread the GPS Quebec web site. We're going to be fishing some Quebec lakes in mid August that are about 36 miles north east of Lake Kipawa (just east of the town of Temiscaming, Quebec). If at all possible, could you show us a screen shot of Lac Bay and surrounding area. The next lake to the east of Lac Bay is Lac Winawiash and the biggest lake on the outfitter's property is Trout Lake. When I went to the GPS Quebec site, selected the topo map for Abitibi-Temiscaming, and then requested the enlarged view, the lake west of Lac Bay (Lac Pierre) did not show on the that view. Do you see Lac Pierre with the GPS Quebec Abitibi-Temiscaming topo loaded into your Garmin 60CSx? Thanks in advance.

Tomcat, GPS has map sets of Ontario and of Quebec. I only have the Ontario set. Sorry. You can probably contact them and ask for a specific screen shot. I believe Terry did just that. You can contact them HERE

DanC:

Thanks again. It was a worth a shot to see if you had any of the Quebec maps. I'm unable to follow up myself with GPS Quebec because I have a non-mapping GPS - a Garmin 76 (purchased 6 years ago). However, I'll pass along your suggestion to my colleague with the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx.