Brush Wolves and dog - bit of a story

Rod Caster

We've got a few coyotes around here but not many, but I had an animal on my front lawn a couple years back that I'm not sure what it was, possibly a coydog ??

He was about the size of a heavy German Sheppard with shortish brown grey hair and just as mean looking as they come.

I opened the front door to chase him away and he just sorta sneered at me and wandered off down the road.

I spent a lot of time over the years hunting on my own (or with all my friends as I like to say :) )

I recall one Fall morn--right at 1st light----fog so thick could'nt see anywhere---so I park my butt under an old pine tree and try and wait it out

so of course I give my deer call a couple grunts---couple mins later I get a timber howlin to my left---and again even with my 06---the hair on the back of my neck stands up

Then one answers straight ahead---then a 3rd answers to the right---now it gives a real uneasy feelin bein in the great out nowhere----when this is goin on with fog so thick ya can hardly see the end of the gun barrel

I've had it 3x in my life when they've called to "Surround" me---every time either calf moose callin or deer callin

Ya know I've had opportunity to drill the big dog---but me and him have had an agreement for some time

he leaves me alone and I'll do likewise

I know lots of hunters say they hurt their hunting---but I usually get what I'm after

I always look at it---he was huntin on this land long before I came along

glad to hear your dog did good and nothing major happened...did the wolf/hybrid look starving or injured?

coyotes and wolves are smart critters, kill a few of them and they learn quick....do some rabbit calling and see what happens

had a couple of close calls with my pup, he's somewhat educated now but also still rocking his nuts and won't use his brain if he catches scent, so I'm pretty careful ice fishing with him...wolves and coyotes everywhere out west

regularly see the female on the tree line, yipping and whining, playful with others waiting in the bush...my 8 month old lab fell for it but I was watching at the time....he had a quick tussle with the yotes and got the crap scared out of him, I dropped 1 and they took off...they're still around but want nothing to do with us now, whenever they cross the fence line I give them a reminding now and then, it works....but if you have a food source out there, it'll constantly attract them

I never noticed any particulars on it because it was running ahead and away from me then ran into the bush. Someone in the neighborhood said they saw a gangly looking wolf (or brushy) around, so it may be a hungry /desperate loner. Who knows..., but I may find out soon. I need a bigger gun is one thing I know for sure.