The Ever Dreaded Skunked

bowshep

Not including a 20 year relationship with a Vegitarian Animal Lover (did not want to cause harm to animals). What was the longest time you had on the skunk list. For Me it was 37 outings hunting for rainbows. l used everything flys, Trout and Salmon roe, Skien, Jiggs, spinners and spoons and nothing. l have 12 colors of mesh for the roe bags, tied from 3 eggs to looney size. l was skunked from Oct 12th to April 7th, fished everywere but Niagra. Every time heading out l believed that l was going to catch and nothing the only consolation l had was that l didn't sit on my bumm all day. l will not give up l will hunt Rainbow's till l die l am determind to succeed. Chrome Hen says lm stubroun but l think lm just determind (potato/potatoe).

l know l might have the record but is thier anyone else that has hit the fishing drought. Peace Ken

Ps Damn l love fishing :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I caught my first carp of 2005 in the first week of April . . . 11 weeks later (mid-June) I got my next one, and then had a great season. But I did at least 30 carpless excursions, not landing one. Broke about 10 off, missed another dozen . . . even got desperate enough to consider a cross-bow, a spear or my bare hands. But . . . 8 outings this year I suppose is pretty mild, considering . . . . I'm glad you posted this thread, now I know I'm not the only one who runs into a dry spell . . . . I wonder how many others have walked in the same shoes?

I started fishing for steelhead 4 years ago, and i was skunked every fall for the first three. i go out probably a dozen times every fall. Large rivers are still a mystery to me. People who fish for steelhead are usually die hards who dont give up no matter how many times they get skunked.

My biggest Rainbow/Chrome skunk has been 7 trips I am very lucky and I know it. I started fishing for them 19 months ago. This year I went twice a week on average from September 2nd till last Wednesday when I "finished" the season on a winning note with a 7lb hen. Your not even close to being the longest skunk that I have heard of though a buddy of mine went 43 times before he got his first..... Then he got one each trip for the next 2 times out then got skunked and he seems to have quit all together now LOL.

I can not tell you the number of times I have said ... " there must be no fish in this river!" while standing looking at the dang things swimming by... trying everything in my tackle box. Many evenings spent wondering if I could catch one if I just walked into the water and grabbed it rather than using a fishing rod.

We all have our moments... but I wouldn't trade one of them for a couch.

Thanks for posting that Ken... Now I know I am not alone!

Hmm....for Steelheading it was probably about 8 outings. I just started out fishing for them at the end of December last year....didn't land my first one until the end of January.

For Walleye....once I caught my first one, I probably went out 15 or so times before landing my next one.

That Walleye one really bugged me...here I was, going out night after night...in rain, wind and snow...sometimes wondering "What the heck am I doing out here??". Perseverence paid off though!

not including the hardwater, i went from late last july till about 3 weeks ago without a fish.. now i wasnt out every week or anything, so i dont feel that bad.. that said please sticky this so i can easily find it on monday, and i'll feel better when i get skunked this weekend. :)

Edited by Bitsmith2k

l will not give up l will hunt Rainbow's till l die l am determind to succeed. Chrome Hen says lm stubroun but l think lm just determind (potato/potatoe).

I haven't ever counted my consecutive skunks but there have been many. Example..Last year when we first got back into fishing, all I wanted before my season ended was one fish that was over 15 inches that wasn't a bullhead, any other fish would have worked. Took me from mid August til the 13th of October and there were many many nights spent fishing in different locations with Cliff and alone that ended in skunk.

Stubborn/determined......I freely admit that I am obsessive, Cliff is nice and says that I am driven!

Bly