Spanish RIver/Vances Resort advice

Hey All,

My self and the kids are heading up to Vance's resort in 10 days. I have never been to this stretch of water before and would love to tap into some expertise here if possible. Any and all advice on locations, baits, lures, and your experience here would be great to have. Even what to expect would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Excellent place, close to all amenities. Pay attention to the fish finder for water depths, they can change up and down quite rapidly. If you use the side docks, there's a boulder and dead head at the entrance, tilt the motor up a bit. Fishing is what it is, there's good and not so good days. Go up the river through the old log weir around the bend past the rock outcrop. Past there it's about 8-14 feet deep, keep going a bit further until you see the old cabin with the solar panel, good spot. Enjoy the trip.

We took the train up from Cartier a few years ago and canoed a good chunk of the spanish. A very nice river. As with most our canoe trips, fishing is a bit secondary, so we did not spend a ton of time with the poles in our hands. I'm not exactly sure where you are going, but there was a bunch of smallmouth when we put in our efforts. My goto river tackle is usuallythrowing a #3 mepps fully dressed. I can't see any problems with getting on some fish on the spanish. There was a very large amish family that rented camps every year. I do not recall the camp they stayed at, but the head of the group said they always had good luck fishing and caught there fish quota for the entire year. And by large group I mean there must have been 60 people. I recall him saying he had 22 children.

Expect a nice river that is meandering back and forth in sections, there is definetly a good chance you will end up "locked" between rapid sets if you are on the river. It is a very scenic area. BE CAREFUL for ground wasps. Personally it is the only area where I have come across these nasty guys. Get you in the lower leg usually and I associated it with being hit with a 30/06. They didnt swell much but boy they pretty much dropped you to your knees. They were present at all the camp sites. There was a few sites closed also due to black bears, so a bear banger or something may be something you would like to have? We went for the white water canoe experience vs fishing and i was very happy with our choice, and Im sure you will be also. Definetly a fishy looking river and we didnt try too hard.

Enjoy

MM

Search through the board for my and others reports from Brennan Harbour lodge

It's on the whales back channel just outside of the Spanish river on lake Huron

When we were there we saw lots of boats from Vance's in the channel. We were told the river isn't where the fish are post opening weeks of the season

We fished in Vance's bay, aird bay and off of paradise island and did well for walleye w harnesses trolled behind bottom bouncers

For smallies we just fished any of the rock/visible boulder piles and did well on square bill cranks and wacky rigged stick baits

One word of caution. If the wind blows the channel gets really rough best to fish the river those days

Gordy