Regular PowerPro vs PowerPro SuperSlick

Crap, another agreement with Bill .... I'm digging myself deeper by the day :)

I use braid on my poppers.

It help with hook sets when "long distance" casting.

Flouro sinks and doesn't provide any benefit to top waters...

Mono .... well, mono simply sucks, lol.

Steve, lol! I also use tiny XXXS barrel swivels (From my steelhead fishing) to attach a mono leader and a small snap. (Usually 20lb Big Game or XT, nothing fancy). Doesn't pull down the mono so the lure doesn't end up diving under.

I started using the regular PP years ago and have never had a reason to try anything else as it does exactly what I want it to do.

Me as well. I've found that I use to be jumping on the new line band wagon in the past only to be disappointed in the product and tearing off the reels. (Wasted so much money on some of that crap.) These days I stick to what has been working over the years and that is all. Mixed reviews on the slick so I'll stick with the original.

@Billm

lol. Dude you don't use braided line for topwater applications. The reason your having trouble with the stuff is because you need to learn how to and when to use it.

Braid is excellent for topwater…maybe for Spook style baits it's not ideal but I use 12lb Sunline SX1 Braid exclusively for 1/4oz 2" Poppers…The distance I get is impeccable, maybe it's the way the NRX802S loads up I don't know. Only issue with braid and top waters are if you throw braid that's too thin the line will catch on the treble hooks on a few casts each morning. I don't do it because of my confidence with the line, lure, and rod however it is a time kill once in a while. I also hate a knot that bumps guides in any rod. The solution is to add a 2-3ft chunk of 12lb-20lb Mono, the stiffer mono stops the hang-ups. I still prefer straight braid, as others said your hook set what that bait goes under is important and that no stretch helps.

Slop Frogs and Topwater are part of the same club and for this if your not using Braid your not catching 95% of your bites in the slop…I guarantee it :whistling:

For the PowerPro, I would always suggest the Spectra Braid vs the Super Slick. Before I found Sunline SX1 and FX2, and there Fluorocarbons MossGreen PowerPro ruled. The SX1 is just a tighter, longer lasting braid. From 12lb to 40lb I've had nothing but success. Read up :)

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I would probably like the super slick if it wasn't so prone to abrasion and breakage (much like nanofil imo). Yes it casts further but after several failed tries it's regular power pro for me.

I suppose if all you ever used it for was topwater applications it might be okay...

Edited by Mike Borger

I use a lot of super slick, and some reglar PP too. For my the superslick is my mainline for a lot of what I'm throwing. I have never had an issue with breakage and just like how it casts and feels when I fish it. But hey, each to their own right?