Whitefish/Lake Trout fishing

fisher

With tomorrow's forecast looking good, I am thinking of heading to Lake Simcoe at my first attempt at whitefish (and if they are there... some lake trout). :Gonefishing:

I am planning to go to the Willow Beach area but have no (and I stress No) idea of what I am doing. Never done this before. :dunno:

I have heard a set up consisting of a Meegs? jig, tipped with a minnow just off bottom would work.

Questions are:

Is there a launch near Willow Beach and how early does it open?

Can I buy minnows near by?

What test line should I use?

ANY OTHER TIPS?

Thanks and looking forward to your replies (either on the forum or PM'd ;) if you'd prefer).

Meegs tipped with a 1 inch green tube works great. If ya dont got that then a jigging Rap will do also. Just look for the crowd out there. Anchor somewhere in the area and just drop the lure to the bottom and move yer bait slowing in a vertical postion about 2 inches up and slowly back down.

No need for live bait.

Launching I,ll leave to someone else on that side.

The launch at Sibbald point is quite nice and only costs $11.00. As well, you can lauch at Bonnie Boats in Jackson Point. Checked it out on Sunday and it looks okay and costs only $10.00. Both of these lauches are close to the whitefishing action.

Bill

Edited by wmshaw

LOL

Hope ya didnt take that personal.LOL

Not at all....just wanted to thank everyone for their help - including those that sent me a PM.

After re-reading my post I can see that I should have added a smile or something :thumbsup_anim:

Post how it goes Fisher, I'm heading to Simcoe in next week for Whitefish first time also. Caught some perch there last fall, haven't been on Simcoe much but plan on getting there more this summer. I have charts if you want, pm email addy to send to.