I use circle hooks for bass, panfish and bullheads and love them. I've tried them for carp many times with different baits but just couldn't stick a carp. The ones that I did manage to hook came off after a short while. Other people have tried it and it seems to work for them just fine.

Give them a go and see what happens

I don't think it would work too well.

The theory behind circle hooks is that the fish will self hook when they grab the bait and run. No setting of the hook needed.

Carp don't run until you set the hook. So they won't self hook on a circle hook.

Carp don't run until you set the hook. So they won't self hook on a circle hook.

Hmm..... I think it depends on the rig you use. But carp do run before you set the hook in most circumstances, ask those people who lost their rods because they left their rods on the bank, and a carp found out ;-) You can find some underwater videos on carp taking bait on youtube, they bolt like no tomorrow once they feel something fishy about what they just take in their mouth.

I myself don't find circle hooks particularly useful with a hair rig. Carp hook themselves regardless what hook is used anyway (the reason to use a hair rig -- self hooking).

You can find some underwater videos on carp taking bait on youtube, they bolt like no tomorrow once they feel something fishy about what they just take in their mouth.

Did a quick search on Youtube...would love to see the underwater videos...you have any saved as favourites? Could you paste a few links? Thanks.

All my carp this year have been caught on circle hooks. Tried it out at a trib when I already had a small circle hook tied on to my line and didn't feel like tying a diffrent one. I Put on a few kernels of corn and toss it in. The carp tug the line set the hook and never had a problem.