New Ride (NF) - Ram 1500 Diesel

hutch4113

I really hope GM doesn't use a VM Motori engine in their 1500 when Isuzu has done such a good job with the Duramax.. Stick with a source that you know makes a good engine.

look it up been a good engine so far since 2011 did one starter motor and a couole sets of glow plugs.

check out Banks site they have a 600hp vm build going on.

look it up been a good engine so far since 2011 did one starter motor and a couole sets of glow plugs.

check out Banks site they have a 600hp vm build going on.

The VM Motori engines in the Liberty aren't anything to write home about. EGR issues, MAP issues, etc.. All can be fixed once you rip off all the emissions stuff though for the most part.

The VM Motori engines in the Liberty aren't anything to write home about. EGR issues, MAP issues, etc.. All can be fixed once you rip off all the emissions stuff though for the most part.

I was talking the 3.0 v6 not the 2.8 i4

but can say same for all modern diesels with the emissions systems they have soot build up is just more maintenance

I did a lot of research before I bought. What you mention is not actually an issue with the Engine, but with the Emission Systems. Most of those were brought in/mandated starting in 2007 - > http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1107dp_dpf_the_time_bomb_under_your_diesel/.

Article made a good point however - it is very similiar to Gas Engines, when Catalytic Converters were added. Huge problems, until Engineering/Technology got it right.

Most DPF systems now run quite well - or at least better than they did.

Time will tell - but the truth is you put the same emission systems on a Cummins - you will have the same problems. I am hoping I don't have any issues - but when the warranty runs out, I am pretty sure there will be a shop that can "delete" the items causing the issues, and allow me to run the truck without problems.

If that DPF goes and you're out of warranty, you're still looking at a 3K repair job at least :) My parents '09 Jetta TDI's DPF is cracked, is out of warranty and VW won't honour the repair (They are about 14k over).. So I'm ripping out the entire system and installing an 'offroad' race pipe. No more DPF, a tune and a solid 30+whp and 50MPG when we're done. Not to mention lower EGTs, less stress on the turbo, etc.. Sure the cost is around $1600, but it's better than the repair bill they received from Orillia VW (Which I laughed at when I saw it)...

This is another reason I like the older rotary pump diesels (4BT, 6BT, ALH etc).. No DPF's, little to no emissions crap, super simple to work on, cheap to fix for the most part... I would like to see that 3.0 Eco diesel uncorked, it would probably even get better mileage (Which is crazy seeing what Doug has told me of yours already, lol!)

Edited by BillM

With Ontario having gone to a simple OBDII scan of the emissions components (no-tailpipe test -- not that a DPF delete would automatically fail one anyway) it's very likely that there will be a DPF delete 'kit' consisting of a pipe and ECU flash which will not trigger any CELs that would cause the vehicle to fail sooner than later for the RAM. Many of the other diesels on the market already have such 'kits'.

I know that if the DPF ever goes on my Grand Cherokee, that is the route I will take.

If that DPF goes and you're out of warranty, you're still looking at a 3K repair job at least :) My parents '09 Jetta TDI's DPF is cracked, is out of warranty and VW won't honour the repair (They are about 14k over).. So I'm ripping out the entire system and installing an 'offroad' race pipe. No more DPF, a tune and a solid 30+whp and 50MPG when we're done. Not to mention lower EGTs, less stress on the turbo, etc.. Sure the cost is around $1600, but it's better than the repair bill they received from Orillia VW (Which I laughed at when I saw it)...

This is another reason I like the older rotary pump diesels (4BT, 6BT, ALH etc).. No DPF's, little to no emissions crap, super simple to work on, cheap to fix for the most part... I would like to see that 3.0 Eco diesel uncorked, it would probably even get better mileage (Which is crazy seeing what Doug has told me of yours already, lol!)

-----------------------------------------

Hmmm...quote didn't separate my post. Here is my response:

Ya...better mileage...and more HP. I bought it with a 6 Year warranty - so won't worry about it until then. But if it goes - unleash the hounds.....lol. :whistling:

Edited by Tupelo

With Ontario having gone to a simple OBDII scan of the emissions components (no-tailpipe test -- not that a DPF delete would automatically fail one anyway) it's very likely that there will be a DPF delete 'kit' consisting of a pipe and ECU flash which will not trigger any CELs that would cause the vehicle to fail sooner than later for the RAM. Many of the other diesels on the market already have such 'kits'.

I know that if the DPF ever goes on my Grand Cherokee, that is the route I will take.

Don't be surprised if you see Ontario scrap DriveClean in the next 2-3 years (cross your fingers)... Although the previous test was a lot easier to pass compared to the new one (The curbside idle test, what a joke).. The problem with a lot of the newer ECU's (Take for example the ones found in the '09+ VWs) is that you can't simply fool the readiness monitors. Hopefully the Chrysler products don't have this issue, although I'm sure they are both using Bosch ECUs...

Bill I know a couple local guys on the jeep forums running a DPF delete with a ECU flash that have passed emissions with no issues. Emissions readiness sensors all reading ok. This is with the 07/08 GCs with the Mercedes Benz motor that I have, not sure about the brand new ones with the Fiat engine (same as in the RAM) -- likely too new.

Edited by Raf

Bill I know a couple local guys on the jeep forums running a DPF delete with a ECU flash that have passed emissions with no issues. Emissions readiness sensors all reading ok. This is with the 07/08 GCs with the Mercedes Benz motor that I have, not sure about the brand new ones with the Fiat engine (same as in the RAM) -- likely too new.

That's good news, so you're definitely in the clear if you want (cough *should* cough) rip all that crap off :)

With cummins at least the dpf filter was 6 k.

Now with def added on the 2014 need to keep the tank full if it runs out of exhaust fluid they wont restart untill fluid is added

You get something like 10,000kms to refill the DEF before the car won't start, same thing with the VW Passats. I don't know about the Cummins, but VW buries them in the trunk, such a stupid location. I like the 335d setup, has it right on the outside near the fuel flap.

Edited by BillM

You get something like 10,000kms to refill the DEF before the car won't start, same thing with the VW Passats. I don't know about the Cummins, but VW buries them in the trunk, such a stupid location. I like the 335d setup, has it right on the outside near the fuel flap.

you dont get it on dodge nk fluid no start thats the way there programmed. The def fill up is under the fuel door not so bad to get at

you dont get it on dodge nk fluid no start thats the way there programmed. The def fill up is under the fuel door not so bad to get at

I just filled mine up in my dodge. 32bucks was bad. The manual says it will give you a warning light approx. 500km from being empty. I was on the red in the gauge and still must have had more then 500km left since I didnt get a warning light. 2.5gallons gives me just over 1/2tank. No reason why anyone should run out of it, at least not in the Dodge.

Cheers

Wow, that's crap. So you're out in the middle of tthe bush, you've run out of DEF and the truck won't start? Maybe just pee in the tank? :)

Wow, that's crap. So you're out in the middle of tthe bush, you've run out of DEF and the truck won't start? Maybe just pee in the tank? :)

yup dont think there's much to def fluid anyway its water based similar freeze point I d pour water in apinch