Trolling Motor Wiring

Matt Janes

So I just installed a new Minn Kota trolling motor plug and receptacle at the bow of my boat. There was already existing wiring and an existing receptacle but I couldn't find the plug to fit it.

Everything seemed good but when I went to run it, it ran for literally 2 seconds and then quit. Now all of the sudden there is no power to the receptacle anymore. Would there be an inline fuse installed somewhere between the front and the back of the boat?

It's 8 guage wire if that matters.

Thanks.

Matt

Circuit breaker most likely, needs to be reset, but the fact that it popped signals another problem

I installed a MInn Kota 60 amp circuit breaker in my bow compartment with the batteries this spring. Used a new MK bow plug and 6 gauge wiring from bow plug to batteries, with crimped lug terminals- no issues so far. Your system 12 or 24 volt? make sure wise are run correctly if more than one battery. Mine run from red of trolling motor to positive on first battery, another cable from negative terminal of first battery to positive terminal of second battery, then black or negative cable from my Terrova to negative terminal of second battery.