Copper line question

turtle

I normally use lead core line to fish lake trout but thinking about trying copper line. I've tried the single strand wire before and overall didn't like it. Is there a good quality cooper line out there and who sells it? Is it better with more than single strand? I've seen the "Old Timer" copper line for sale but that's the same brand of wire that I didn't like.

If the copper rod goes off, let someone else reel it in :)

Aren't those set-ups called WIDOW MAKERS?

I didn't understand why the guy I was fishing with called it that; not until I had a fish on. :D

Dan

I prefer the lead core and the "relatively" lighter action set-up. The lead core however maxes out at 45-50 feet down and in some hot summers the majority of the fish are deeper and stuck on bottom. I've used the wire and pool cue set up before. A guy on my lake hand lines the copper (wearing gloves) and says he catches fish. Still interested in any better versions of copper line.

The lake I fish changes depth often and quickly. 80 to 20 feet in a 100 yards. Downriggers will work but only in the areas with consistent depths. Otherwise I would spend my time raising and lowering the ball. I catch most of my fish off the deeper side of shoals. Until the fish move deeper and then target suspended fish in deep water I'm reeling in and letting out the lead core as the depth changes.

On a fly in lake I used to go to annually, we used 6-10 oz ball weights on a dropper line to get down for lakers. Used a H action flippin stick and a line counter spooled with 30 braid and with 220-270 out was hitting bottom in 90-120 ft of water. This set up also got double use tied to a large dispey as well

At least with a rigger it would be easier to adjust depth, and quicker too IMO.

I sometimes run riggers in sheild lakes, and understand what your saying about quick depth changes. Set your brake light on the riggers in case you get snagged, but I've never had that problem yet.

S.

most places around here would have attomic or blood run copper in 45 lb test and both are good, i have attomic.

i order 30 lb from the states from cabelas they sell afw since you can no longer get opti. i think you would like 300ft of 30, it would have you around 70 to 80 down at 2mph with a spoon. with cow bells you would not get that though, you might get down 60 65 ft.

i like copper over riggers because you can pump the rod while trolling, it's work but it catches fish

beaware copper is a bit of a bit ch and you have to let it out under tension. free spool copper and you will regret it

Edited by dwc67