My usual drive at 8:05 or so was slow until I got to just west of Bayview. From what I could see see from the top of the hill was an animal on the road slowing down traffic, as I got closer and going west was York Region Officer in his cruiser, we met at the same time by the animal and it was a nice looking doe, we both went on our way and hopefully he made a report. Sorry to see an animal get killed and hopefully there is no fawn looking for mom tonight. :(

On the drive home all was clear.

If you call it in to police, they will normally allow you to take the animal.

I think they give you a reference # in case you're stopped so you don't get charged with poaching.

I wouldn't bother if the animal is mangled too much though.

Picked up a nice big whitetail doe a few years back. Just been hit by a truck, but the truck didn't stop....I did.

She had a broken rear hip, but still allive. Felt bad about what had to happen next, but she was suffering. Tarp over the animal to hide it from passing motorists' view. Knife...throat....seconds later....done.

Called it in and they said "sure, no problem taking the animal." I asked for a reference # in case I was stopped, but can't remember now if they ever gave me one. The conversation is recorded anyway, so there is proof of the call.