Putting together a Musky box, what lures?

Maverick

Ten baits - you wish, you never started fishing musky. My list in order

1. Golden Bomber Barramundi lure - Roaring Dan will attest

2. Handlebarz black

3. Red October Sharpie

4. Red October Black

5. Shadzilla cisco

6. H210 black

7. Handlebarz Durado

8. Believer Walleye 10 inch

9. Rubber Chicken Perch

10. Handlebarz Orange Black

Finally get the best net man in the world who will just keep your head up and fishing as it can become a grind. Also fish with someone on the board, I thank Mike parker for my passion - I fished with him with brownie and I can work out that's where my obsession began

John

Edited by cowanjo

Top ten is difficult ... to start you need a topwater lure of some kind Topraider easiest to use and it produces...

A bucktail or 2 ... you didn't say what type of reel you had so stick with Mepps musky killers they catch fish ...

A body bait or crankbait .. an 8" Jake is perfect to cast or troll a depthraider will get down deep cast or trolled...

Soft plastics ... a bulldawg but remember you need a rod that can throw them...

Not ten but who needs ten baits? That's why most of us muskie nuts have hundreds of 'em LOL :whistling:

I would start with three:

1. A double 8 or 10 bucktail in black and nickel

2. A white tube around 9-10" ( fish it like a jerkbait)

3. A couple mag dawgs (black n orange and Cisco)

4. Swim jig:)

I like to start with some speed and then move to a jerk and pause type lure if they don't seem active. Developing confidence in a few lures and learning one lake is usually better than throwing every lure in the box and following the latest hotspot tip IMO.

STart on the kawarthas so u have some eat success and action and then move where the big girls live.

Thanks for all the replies. I found a guy on kijiji selling musky lures so I went over to see what he had. The guy had a hundreds of baits, they were all labelled and he gave me great a price. Here is what I picked up, some of the colour schemes might not work but that can be changed.

20140511_144006_zps08kd3msw.jpg

Starting from the left going down the rows there's

9" Grandma

10" Slammer

Big Fork Lures Jointed 8" River Rat

Jointed 8" Believer

9" Suick

9" Sledge

7" Sledge

Stidham Z180

? Not sure what the one top right is....anyone?

Gries Tackle Topkick Super Spin

Windels Musky Chugger

Hellraiser Tackle Rattlin' Woodtick

Along with the 2 spinnerbaits and one bucktail. He wasn't selling many of his bucktails so I will have to pick up a couple. I had wanted to get some of Handlebarz anyways. I think this assortment of different types should get me started and I didn't break the bank. I tried to pick what people suggested, then I thought some looked cool as well. It'll be fun to see if that pink Woodtick works, I am doubting it but it looks cool. He didn't have any Jakes but the Grandma and Slammer looked similar and he didn't have a Topraider to sell be the Topkick looked along the same lines. He had a jailbird Believer but he wouldn't part with it.

Does anyone know the name of the top right corner lure and what it's action is? Any comments on that assortment?

Thanks for all the info so far, would be totally lost without it.

You got some decent baits there Maverick and it's a good start.

Those Sledges are excellent baits, and hopefully you got the weighted ones as their much easier to work, but even un-weighted will put some fish in your boat.

The Suick is also a great bait and like the Sledge they take a bit to figure out the best way to work them but once you get onto them, their one of the best baits around.

I initially thought Hawg Wabbler as well, and would not be in a huge rush to spray it (although I love black lures).Try it during light changes or dusk and dawn early in the season and work it slow. On a slow day try trolling with the sledges.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey