fishing rice lake near roseneath

Hi there... I'm taking the family to a cottage near Roseneath on Rice Lake. Anyone fish that area? If so, might I hit you up for some pointers? Not looking for your well-kept secrets, just some advice that might help me locate some fish in the few days I'm there. By the way, I fish pike and bass, but wouldn't mind a nice pic. in my pan!

Cheers,

Mike

Lots of good posts here on Rice Lake, do quick search. I pm'd you if you haven't left yet.

What is deal with that sunken railway-why wasn't the railway who owned tracks forced to remove them and clear the support bed? First time on lake last summer, the structure is good for fishing but quite the hazard! Must have been a scenic train trip when it operated.

Pick yourself up a copy of the "Fishing Mapbook" for the Kawarthas region. Rice Lake will be in there among a ton of other lakes. It gives you an idea of the depths etc and you can see where the sunken railroad is. There are more detailed fishing maps out there, but this book is not a bad starting point to get ya going!

Good Luck and post some pics :)

Edited by Black Blade

The railway is good. It runs from the point at Hiawatha on the North side of the lake to Tick Island on the south side. Tick Island is very small and is marked with a light on the North side. There are channel markers just to the North of the Island. If you line up the channel markers with the channel markers on the North side, you will be in the right spot. In case you don't know, Roseneath, it is on the South side of the lake.

The railway is a fair jaunt up the lake from Roseneath though - if using a tinny you are talking about an 8 k.m.+ ride. Depending on the lake conditions, that can either be long or short. There's a fairly big Island near Roseneath, White Island, try on the North side there. Good depth and weed growth.

Generally look for weedlines in 8-12 fow for walleye. You won't catch pike in Rice, I hope. Lots of crappie and bluegill and a ton of bass, if you are there in season.

Also a good spot is the mouth of the Otonabee on the North side. Depending on your boat it could be a bit of a jaunt to get to, probably 10 k.m or so. North side, just further West of the point at Hiawatha.

You can pretty much catch fish anywhere on that lake, just look for green new-growth coontail. I always find it holds more fish than cabbage, but maybe that's just me.

Good luck!

There were few beavers around the railway island string last summer-my kids loved watching them. I guess its generally the case with walleye but the fishing really picked up at dusk....nothing for hours and then fishing was terrific. Late afternoon just before a storm the bite was on also....we got real wet that day. The chart I emailed should help you get your bearings-figure out whats reachable depending on your boat. We have 190hp and still found a few rides 'long' when weather hit-thats a big lake.