Invasive Carp....................Finally Some Good News.

DRIFTER_016

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=BH-20140425-43495-USA

Tens of thousands of Asian carp are believed to have died in a 24-hour period in the Cumberland River below Lake Barkley, and state officials are investigating. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources says specimens of the invasive silver carp will be taken to Kentucky State University for disease testing. Fish and Wildlife's western fisheries district biologist, Paul Rister, says Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley don't appear to be affected by the die-off discovered Wednesday. Evidence of the fish kill was documented to the confluence with the Ohio River. Rister says the source could be viral or bacterial. He says if water quality was the cause, other species would be affected. The agency says the fish have spread throughout much of the Mississippi River basin after escaping from fish farms in the 1970s.

I was watching a show on tv earlier I believe it was called big fish or something of the like, it was a marine scientist and he was going through lake systems that have been affected by the carp of multiple species bighead, silver ,asian etc and they showed a massive culling of the jumping carp with a derby, one boat netted 150 in an hour and a bit, they ended up with a huge amount from all involved, good idea but I would hate to see it get like that around here.