A followup to my post "How should I handle this"

Big Cliff

I did as was suggested in the original thread and did try to just ignore it. The result was that they went and filed a police report and have now threatened to sue me!

You guys are right, I am letting it worry me and I shouldn't! Oh, and I am partially at fault, I was backing up in a parking lot so I am automatically partially at fault, (or so I am told) and he could have sounded his horn or hit the brakes but he didn't and had he been watching what was going on he would have seen my backup lights on and stopped, he didn't!

That being said however, I could have done more damage to his car if I had thrown a basket ball at it! (and I'm old, well not as old as Beans but I'm working on it LOL)

I guess my biggest problem with all of this is that my honesty and integrety are being challanged by these guys and their lies, I guess it is just my old school attitude but those are two very important things to me! In my day someone smacked you one, you smacked him back and when it was all sorted out you shook hands and bought each other a beer, doesn't seem to work that way anymore.

I am going to take your advice and Monday morning I am just going to forward their latest letter to my insurance company and ask them to contact these guys directly and let them handle it!

The most interesting thing is that they don't even own the car and twice I have asked for their insurance information and they haven't provided it!

Thanks again everyone for all your input and ideas, I do need to let things like this slide off my back and being able to talk it out really helps. I really appreciate all the "professional" advice I have been given too! There were/are a lot of things I just didn't know because I haven't been there before!

Always here for you if I can be!

Big Cliff

Edited by Big Cliff

Good to know you will let the insurance company that you have paid several thousands of dollars over the years do what you paid them to do. Don't calculate what you have paid them for, I did, could have bought a brand house and paid it off long ago if I knew what I would pay for car insurance 44 years ago. Forget about what we spent on cars and trucks and motorcycles and boats and, and.

I'll be 60 soon and know exactly how you feel, honour and integrity is something we spend our entire lives to earn and uphold then some punk comes along and questions it. In the old days that would have been grounds for a sound, emergency room visit for the punk, and once an old school cop got the story he would have patted you on the back for giving someone a good beating for being a goof.

I forgot you were backing up.You are at fault 110%. No one has to mitigate damages by beeping the horn or stopping.He probably sped up when he saw $ signs.

You and I are stuck in the days of war protests and Janis Joplin. Our bars are set to high and when someone doesn't live up to our standards we are disappointed. I have learned to let it go, tough yes, I can't spend any(more) time in the hoosgow. Too old, too tired, and far too sore.

Good luck oldtimer and let it go. We are the type of people that edit posts to correct small spelling errors and grammar, sometimes I do at least. Some of the posts I read here give you an idea of how people live just by how they write a sentence if you can call it a sentence. No self respect in my judgement. The bars are set at ankle height for a few I'm afraid.

From another soon to be asking for a Sr.s coffee oldtimer, man I never thought I'd see the day!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Good to know you will let the insurance company that you have paid several thousands of dollars over the years do what you paid them to do. Don't calculate what you have paid them for, I did, could have bought a brand house and paid it off long ago if I knew what I would pay for car insurance 44 years ago. Forget about what we spent on cars and trucks and motorcycles and boats and, and.

I'll be 60 soon and know exactly how you feel, honour and integrity is something we spend our entire lives to earn and uphold then some punk comes along and questions it. In the old days that would have been grounds for a sound, emergency room visit for the punk, and once an old school cop got the story he would have patted you on the back for giving someone a good beating for being a goof.

I forgot you were backing up.You are at fault 110%. No one has to mitigate damages by beeping the horn or stopping.He probably sped up when he saw $ signs.

You and I are stuck in the days of war protests and Janis Joplin. Our bars are set to high and when someone doesn't live up to our standards we are disappointed. I have learned to let it go, tough yes, I can't spend any(more) time in the hoosgow. Too old, too tired, and far too sore.

Good luck oldtimer and let it go. We are the type of people that edit posts to correct small spelling errors and grammar, sometimes I do at least. Some of the posts I read here give you an idea of how people live just by how they write a sentence if you can call it a sentence. No self respect in my judgement. The bars are set at ankle height for a few I'm afraid.

From another soon to be asking for a Sr.s coffee oldtimer, man I never thought I'd see the day!

You forgot the Mama's and the Papa's, MC5, King Crimson and LSD glad you didnt forget the lovely Janis though

So true LOL.

Old man, old values, your word and a hand shake was as good as or better than any written contract. Saddly those days seem to be gone. There are some advantages though to being older, at 68 I have learned that you have to keep on learning every day (at 16 all I wanted to do was get out of school and get a job).

I have also learned that they don't give seniors discounts at the LCBO or beer store no matter how old you are LOL. (but I keep asking :whistling: )

Not sure why some-one wouldn't report accident to police and insurance company within a day or so. Well, actually I do know.

I have had several things over the years happen, I love Insurance! It's a peace of mind thingy and I don't have to deal with other party.

The last one was some-one hit my rear bumper. My son reported it and that was it. No cost to me. Car fixed within a week and no communication from the people that did it. Well, there was some calls recieved by me, turns out the other person wanted to pay cash.guess why? Not my problem.

Cliff, I've been where you are, but only once.

I backed up and dinged someone's car, what a hassel. Never again! Here's my insurance, where's yours?

I even carry 1 million $ personal liability insurance for anything I'm in care or control of, $100/year, great peace of mind. Ooops, Sorry!

It all gets fixed and everyone is happy.

Forget Harrasement, go for Restraining Order.

• 2 weeks later...