Where to buy hair rigs

Big Cliff

A lot of places that have carp gear have pre-tied rigs now Cliff. Fishing World here in Hamilton carries them but unfortunately I'm not sure about the places out your way.

I tend to order a lot of my stuff on-line from Carpkit.ca They carry absolutely everything you want for carp fishing and the service is excellent.

I used to tie my own hair rigs when I first got into carp fishing, then at some point I got lazy and just started using a circle hook and egg sinker. I can't say I found my success rate suffered at all. Might be a different story if you're fishing carp that see a lot of angling pressure.

I used to tie my own hair rigs when I first got into carp fishing, then at some point I got lazy and just started using a circle hook and egg sinker. I can't say I found my success rate suffered at all. Might be a different story if you're fishing carp that see a lot of angling pressure.

I'm much the same, I just use a salmon egg hook and egg sinker, seems to work as well for me as the guys with all the fancy gear but each to their own.

Not sure if it's still there but there was a place a km or two outside of Lakefield that sold carp gear (it was either called Matt's Bait and Tackle or Nat's Bait and tackle - I can't remember). It's been a number of years since I stopped in so it may no longer be there.

If you're using canned corn or bread for bait, just impale it on the hook. It's the other baits like boilies, maize, tiger nuts that are super tough to stick on a hook and that's where a hair rig is needed. With gobies now infiltrating the Kawarthas, using soft baits like canned corn will be difficult.

If you have swivels, strong hooks and some line, you can literally tie your own hair rigs in under 20 seconds per rig. It's super easy.

Mark's up at Bobcaygeon used to carry hair rigs Cliff but like Steve said there are lots of sites that show how to tie your own...I usually tie up a dozen of various lengths a sitting and save them on a piece of a swimming pool noodle

A straightened out long shanked jig makes a good baiting needle and a small twig will do as a stopper...

I have ordered the real McCoy carp equipment from New World Carp in the past...

Edited by Beans