Oil furnace Chimney. What to do?

mattybculp

Hello all, I have recently purchased a new home about 3 months ago, and I'm going to be replacing the siding, trough, soffit, and fascia. I will get to the point, the house has what I believe to be a stainless chimney that was originally for an oil furnace. The house now has a natural gas furnace and with replacing the siding and such I'm going to be taking the stack down since its not needed. The stack is in great shape not a spot of rust or anything, Im just curious is to if it could be used for other types of heating or if its worth anything to anyone ( I know a lot of people don't heat there houses to much with oil anymore). I am by no means an expert heck it may not have even been for a

an oil furnace , im just speculating as there is no evidence that there was ever a fire place where it enters the house as it is the laundry room where the furnace etc is located. if anyone has any input that would be great its about a 13-14 ft stack .

If it's specifically for oil----no is the answer for wood

Confirm what type of venting it is before using it for another fuel

Propane and gas are all pretty well direct vented thru the wall now a days---so wood is the only other fuel

after doing some research online I would have to say I'm 95% sure its a insulated stainless chimney, and guessing I would say its in pretty decent shape. This is going sound brutal but what do I click on to add a photo, I am computer " slow". I will take a pic and hopefully the wife can show me how to upload a picture on here as she did that for my avatar. LOL

I Was not able to find the "tag". Every time I Try to upload a pic it says the file is too large, despite it being taken with my iphone diameter would have to be like 10- 12 inches. Just trying to figure out how to post a pic here. Is there generally a specific location for the tag ie. at the bottom where it enters the house or perhaps at the top of the chimney. I couldn't find any tags going up the 3 ft sections .

Matty---I think your file size is limited to 250 kb

I'm thinking this chimney may be an older model----should have tags

One word of caution-----it's usually preferable to get professional advice on these matters---A fishing website can help along---but I would caution using it as a sole info source

Especially when it comes to someone heating a bldg.---insurance companies love to refuse claims unless everything is crossed and dotted----and that includes new installations of equipment (chimney)

Look at the flags around something simple like a garage sale-----I've heard you may be liable for selling defective items that may cause injury

Not the same world out there

Thanks Bushart for your insight, Im just removing it. So I don't want any liability if someone bought it off me. I would rather throw it out then get someone hurt of course. If it didn't appear to be in decent shape I would just toss it, I just thought maybe if someone had a bush or hunting camp maybe it would be of some value to someone. When I get it taken down I will take it in to a place and get there input .Any idea of how one can minimize or shrink the size of the picture ? thanks

It "May" be in Good shape and still useful

One should just look into it all and be safe that's all

I use Microsoft picture manager and compress the pic till it's under 250

Like this...jus ta brighten yur day

obsessive compulsive.jpg

• 1 month later...