LF Boat Rigging Advice

Tim Mills

I am looking for rigging advice for my boat. I plan on trolling with planer boards and dipseys for now and purchasing down-riggers in the future. I am considering Cannon Tracks with a combination of Salty and Cannon rod holders.

I thought if I posted some pictures I could get some OFC advice on how I should be laying out the tracks, holders and down riggers.

THX for having a look.

Port Side

17" from wind shield to Rod holder

41" from RH to Cleat

22" from cleat to end of gunwale

march2014016_zps95d2b62b.jpg

Starboard

37.5" from Rod Holder to GAS

8" from Cleat to Light

10" from Light to end of gunwale

march2014015_zps07cc79d5.jpg

My advice would be mount your riggers on your rear casting deck. I see the perfect place in between the rear hatch and the gunwale. You could use a pedestal like the one pictured here to raise them up. Should be able to install bolts from underneath and a clean wiring job right to your battery or fuse panel. Attach a swivel base to the top or bottom and your all set. My pedestals are removable leaving just a flush mounting plate for when you aren't using the riggers.

2612_newer.jpg

If you mount downriggers up on the gunwale, you run the risk of them hitting a dock or wall when your boat is moored.

You could still mount tracks on the gunwale for rod holders etc.

Keep us updated with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Crazy Ivan

I mounted the plates for our Scotty 1106's on the gunwale right where the floor ends (So you can still stand and do what you need to do).. They also pivot, so docks are a non issue. Mounting plates on the back deck would drive me crazy during bass season when I'm standing back there casting. If I could do it again, I'd probably run a track system like everyone has mentioned.. Give you the most adjustability out of anything.

Its nice having the riggers all the way at the back, but on that boat, with the rear deck, it would be a pain in the butt stepping up and down to set your riggers. I like them at the gunnels, just where the rear deck starts. That way your standing on the main floor, not bent over setting them up, and you can also lean on the rear deck step to help balance on a rough day. I find guys who have the riggers way at the back on a boat with a rear deck like that are on their knees setting the riggers. It wears you out after a while, especially if its rough.

A swivel base at the back of each track for the riggers, a couple ratcheting tube holders, and a couple salties and your good to go. Simple, effective, and no need to climb up on the back deck, or be bent over setting lines.

I personally like the riggers out to the sides. Spreads things out a bit, and leaves the back wide open for netting your fish too.

S.

Edited by Sinker

I mounted the plates for our Scotty 1106's on the gunwale right where the floor ends (So you can still stand and do what you need to do).. They also pivot, so docks are a non issue. Mounting plates on the back deck would drive me crazy during bass season when I'm standing back there casting. If I could do it again, I'd probably run a track system like everyone has mentioned.. Give you the most adjustability out of anything.

Are you replying to my post or trying to give the original poster your advice. No need to criticize my suggestions, let's give him some options and let him decide.

Are you replying to my post or trying to give the original poster your advice. No need to criticize my suggestions, let's give him some options and let him decide.

Giving the OP reasons as to why not mounting them on the back deck might not be the best idea (ie if he casts from there when he's not fishing salmon).. No reason for you to get upset about it.