Trolling Lake Ontario for Trophy Spring Browns

Aaron Shirley

Actually, for the last 30 years I've lived a 2 minute walk from the old pumphouse/pier here in Grimsby, can see the lake from my place :canadian: I was trying to put some perspective on how close to shore you should be for early browns. Most of the guys are too far out from my experience.

Better yet the guys that have no clue going 4+ miles an hour lol.

Dave, the Grimsby area is a good area for early spring browns, but a feasible launch ramp for a big boat is another story until the ice melts away. There are big browns from Grimsby to Port Dalhousie. Probably some of the biggest browns in the lake like that area for some reason.

Thanks again for the comments everyone. Sometimes you "hero" and other times "zero"! My buddy Dean and I spent 2 hours chipping ice away at Port Credit launch yesterday, then broke ice all the way to the lake to troll the shoreline in and around the PC area. It sucked! Not one bite. No signs of life. Water was gin clear except for a slight stain right at the mouth. It was really windy and freezing cold. My inline boards froze up so bad they started to fall over with the weight of the ice!

We even tried some drifting roe and casting spinners, spoons and plugs from the hwy 2 bridge down to the lake for a bit. Nadda. It was dead. I think the fish that guys were catching ice fishing there not long ago have moved up. Sometimes ya take a bullet while experimenting, but ya never know until you try. That is how you discover new bites. I will head back to the south shore or fish Niagara with my boat next time. I don't think there are many browns around Port Credit. I couldn't launch in the west end, as the only ramp that was free of ice was Fisherman's Pier and the gate is locked :( Burlington Beach/Lift Bridge is where I really wanted to try for browns. That area is a major historical spot for early brown trout, but it hasn't been good in many years. I just wanted to try it out. None of the other ramps close to it are even remotely ready to launch a boat. I wish Fisherman's Pier opened earlier.

Good Report Aaron, always nice to hear from you.

Your reports got me setting up my tackle and organizing the lot from late evening all the way till 5 in the morning haha

Now if the ice would melt around the Trophy for me to pull her out.