Which end does a bass strike first

fliptheslop

I am going to be trying a new weedless setup for tube fishing bass this year,and I know a bass strikes a minnow from the head first,but Iwas wondering if the same holds true for a tube, or does it pick up a tube from the tentical side first, this will determine hook positioning.

I think you guys are giving the bass too much credit in their accuracy of strikes. B)

Remember that bass feed by means of suction, so whatever is in front of their mouth, in any particular orientation is going to end up in their mouth that way (or the fish misses your bait altogether!)

The most important thing to consider about hooks is their sharpness! Always, always carry a quality hook sharpener (not those cheap stones) and regularly check and sharpen your hooks as necessary throughout the day.

Dimaondhookshrp_med.jpg

You will catch more fish with sharp hooks.

Tony

I think you guys are giving the bass too much credit in their accuracy of strikes. B)

Remember that bass feed by means of suction, so whatever is in front of their mouth, in any particular orientation is going to end up in their mouth that way (or the fish misses your bait altogether!)

The most important thing to consider about hooks is their sharpness! Always, always carry a quality hook sharpener (not those cheap stones) and regularly check and sharpen your hooks as necessary throughout the day.

Dimaondhookshrp_med.jpg

You will catch more fish with sharp hooks.

Tony

Ya, what Tony said.

Same with Tony myself, just my guess that a bass could out run the prey a tube is supposed to imitate, if it wanted to. Don`t know how much time they spend planning their angle of attack, just guessing not much, it`s smaller than me, eat it.

Can`t recall ever having lost a fish cause the hook was stuck in the tenicles, a firm hookset with a decent hook should solve that.