NF: Eastern Wolf Caught on my Trail Cam - Algonquin Park

JustinHoffman

Cool video ... reminds me of how lucky I was to experience that when ...

Years ago , portaging into Carl Wilson Lake I was fortunate enough to share the portage trail with what seemed to be a lone wolf.

As i was portaging i looked over to glimpse some movement, since it was early May the forest had not filled in yet, I saw a wolf walking about 50 yards in, who knows how long it had been there.

My heart started racing and I stopped dead in my tracks. Crap, the camera was buried in my pack. The wolf kept moving and came out in front of me down the trail, eventually my canoe partner caught up to me and we just stood there and watched the wolf silently take off down the trail. I'll never forget that experience.

Definitely looked similar to that in your video, not very big.

Tough to say, ch312. From what I understand, no coyotes are seen in Whitney. I think the ears might be pressed back in one shot, but without daytime footage, can't be 100%. Could very well be two different wolves, as the time stamps are different.

I was told 3 to 4 wolves are using this area from locals that live less than a minute away. With how hungry they are right now due to snow conditions, if there were 'yotes in the area, I think they would have a death wish to show up in the same place. Again, I have been told no 'yotes are present this close to the park boundary.

Hopefully get better footage my next time I am down.

Cheers,

Justin

Nice footage - I spend lots of time around and have seen numerous raggedy, beat up looking wolves/coyotes ( I can't tell the difference ) in the last few years. Last year a guy was walking his little pooch through the forest and was confronted by something larger that wasn't a yote. Smashed a stick across its head because the thing was snapping at his dog that his wife was holding in her arms... this all around Whitney.

Tough to say, ch312. From what I understand, no coyotes are seen in Whitney. I think the ears might be pressed back in one shot, but without daytime footage, can't be 100%. Could very well be two different wolves, as the time stamps are different.

I was told 3 to 4 wolves are using this area from locals that live less than a minute away. With how hungry they are right now due to snow conditions, if there were 'yotes in the area, I think they would have a death wish to show up in the same place. Again, I have been told no 'yotes are present this close to the park boundary.

Hopefully get better footage my next time I am down.

Cheers,

Justin

Put some blood on the camera to see if you can get them in for a close up :D

Do you hunt wolves and/or coyotes or stick to shooting them with camera's?

Justin, I did not think to mention this before............but if you are not a hunter, perhaps you don't know that your scent can stay on the trail camera and will spook animals. I learned this the hard way with a magnificent buck that investigated my trail camera the day I put it up in September or so, turned tail and I never saw him again all season.........

So if you don't already do so, it is a good idea to spray your camera with a commercial scent killer each time you put it up/check the card/etc. It makes a big difference.

But maybe you already knew that! :canadian:

Doug