Mooching for Lakers on Lake Simcoe

MSBruno

Thinking of downrigging for lakers with a moocher setup ..... looking to make the experience of trolling and fighting a laker a tad more involving.

Other than a busted knuckle here and there ... anyone try or regularly do so? Just wondering what power rods and line setup works best without feeling like you're draggng them up on a dull fiberglass stick.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I run a old Mitchell 782 mooching reel on a custom Fenwick fibreglass rod from the 80's... It's a riot. I use it for everything, salmon, lakers, whatever. I run the same stuff I run on my Diawa Sealines, 20lb Trilene Big Game.

Edited by BillM

mooching rod are slow action long rods. so a laker would be a pretty dull fight because there would be no screaming runs and power shakes like salmon.

i would run a short light rigger rod with fast action like a 7foot light talora with braid line to feel the head shakes ,so you almost feel over powered.

I run a old Mitchell 782 mooching reel on a custom Fenwick fibreglass rod from the 80's... It's a riot. I use it for everything, salmon, lakers, whatever. I run the same stuff I run on my Diawa Sealines, 20lb Trilene Big Game.

Sounds identical to my rig. Same reel, I used to build a lot of rods back then, the Fenwick blank I used was one of their " Fenglass" high modulus fiberglass sticks , the numbers on the blank were 1262 and it was a medium/ slower action. I beleve Lamiglass still make a similar blank in their high modulus S-Glass series if you want to go that route.

I beleve Lamiglass still make a similar blank in their high modulus S-Glass series if you want to go that route.

It,s a bit early.water is still hard,but stay tuned for a classic Lamiglass,teamed up with a pin this up coming laker OPEN water season. :)

It was made by a man that lived in Snellgrove.ONT.

Edited by Misfish