Hot Water Tank. Totally NF

Fishnwire

How far away from the wall can you safely place a hot water tank? I want to move mine into the corner of the unfinished basement room I'm turning into a bit of a workshop. One wall is cement block and the other unfinished studs against the cement wall of the basement. I want to tuck it in as much as possible, so how much clearance do I need behind it?

I'll get someone who knows more than me to make all the gas/water/vent connections...I'm just trying to plan out the space.

You can put the newer water heaters right up against the wall because of the efficiency of the insulation around the tank itself. In the Canadian West, it is suggested that you keep the water heater an inch or two away from walls because of the greater risk of earthquakes and fires. I don't know what you'll be using the shop for but I'd certainly check with an expert if there are solvents or wood dust in there.

Im assuming you dont have the installation/user manual for it so I would locate a model number off of the tank and check online for the manual. Inside it will tell you the clearances needed. There maybe a rating plate with clearances stamped on the tank somewhere aswell.

Edited by livinisfishin

I believe our code is 50000 btu and over we need make up air piped to the tank. Definitely doesnt hurt to have it though. Just adding that i didnt realize it was for a workshop area..definitely want to keep the solvents and debris seperate from any appliance that doesnt have fresh air piped to it directly.

Edited by livinisfishin

Check with your local building dept. They will quote the code for gas or electric based on wall construction. I don't have my Ontario building code books handy, sorry. Some local codes may supersede provincial code.

As far as the gas fitting you will be smart to have a qualified gas fitter to do it and sign off. If done as a DIY project and there is a catastrophic failure your insurance company will tell you to go pound salt when putting in a claim. Have seen it happen.

Man here in Haldimand you need a permit to change a toilet believe it or not. You don't need a permit (maybe) but it needs to be done to code.

I'm pretty sure that all gas appliances in Ontario have clearance to combustables and service clearances on the rating plate. It's not simply a matter of how far does a water tank have to be from a wooden wall? It's brand specific as well. One brand may require an inch while another may require a foot.