Gas auger long term storage question.....should I dump the gas ?

buick14

Purchased a used jiffy in summer of 2012 which had gas and stabilizer in it from the end of winter 2012.....I used it (same gas stabilizer etc) ONCE in January 2013, and it worked beautifully. Prob only drilled 8-10 holes with it.......

My question is, should I dump that gas/stabilizer ASAP (thinking like flow and go pump).....or is it still ok to leave that gas in there and dump it later beforeI plan to use it.....(I usually just use my manual augers unless I have a small walk, target larger fish and ice is super thick etc....)

It's premium gas and stabilized correctly....

Thoughts?

I would suggest: drain any of the old fuel that is in it right now. Mix a bit of fresh fuel and add stabilizer, start and run the auger for a few minutes just to flush the fuel line and carb. Turn it off, drain the tank and put it away. Stabilizer will HELP to keep the fuel from going stale but it is only good for about a year (depending on which one you use). Running things like that dry was old school (before ethanol) but it can cause the diaphrams to dry out and could cause problems next year.

As cliff points out, draining the carb dry not only lets you chance leaning things out so bad you burn a piston, but there is nothing worse IMHO than a dry carburetor left in storage, gumming needle seats, fuel floats and jet holes.

Use Stihl chainsaw oil for your 50 to 1 mix.. it already has stabil in it, so no need to add anything else.

If it was ethanol free premium and stabli.. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just top it when you go out next with fresh fuel mix.

Mine has started every year.. as has all my other equipment in the yard.

Edited by irishfield