'Eyes are on

Northhunter

Spent the opener on Nipissing. Left the damn camera at home - sorry, no pics.

The bite was a little off but they're feeding. Fished from 7-11 Sat. Made two passes along my best trolling run from last year and nothing. Bite was off. One pike and one OOS smallie in 3 1/2 hours. Finally landed an 'eye (about 4lbs) before calling it a morning.

Went back out that evening. Didn't leave the dock 'till after 7. Fished one spot in the rain - landed 10. Two over the slot (one 7lbs), one under and the rest about 2lbs a piece. A front came through and by dusk the wind picked up out of the east and we were freezing. Guess that's what turned 'em on.

Fished the same spot Sunday night in the cold - nothing. Picked up 3 right at dusk in a different spot. They were hitting very light. Wouldn't take jigs.

Went out solo from about 4-8:30 tonight. Made the same trolling run from Sat. One pike - that shoreline might pick up when more weeds start. Picked up a bunch of snot rockets and a couple more OOS smallies in different areas. Finally picked up an 'eye around 8 at the same spot we boated 10. Made a couple more passes - nothing. Had to head in just as witching hour came around.

It was warmer today, but the damn conditions... calm and sunny, then a slight chop and overcast, then calm again. When the wind blew it would come out of the east and then the west, then the east again.. did that all day. Probably threw the fish off at least a bit.

Water's up a fair bit from a couple weeks ago. Is also very dark on the 'arm - darkest I think I've ever seen it.

Shiners are inshore, on cue. Should be there at least another week. Maybe two?

Everything we landed came from 4-8 feet. No little guys - all the 'eyes were healthy post-spawn fish. Good sizes, but mostly slot.

Edited by Northhunter