Cold Calls - Car Dealership???? NF

Headhunter

Heard of both cold calling and offering to buy a quality vehicle from a trusted customer, due to the high demand....

The only thing new in car sales is how people say I got the greatest deal because I did my research, bought a service from the net that told me exactly what the stealership pays for what I bought. Then I sat down in front of the computer and saw it was all true yadda yadda yadda. Really glad you are all happy.

Then to get the real story, go drinking with those salesmen/owners that Friday night and you will hear, about the special program the money guy has whipped up to show only our special "favourite" clients the cost of the vehicle they want you to see. Then how the factory had this incredible incentive on top of everything so they could have went lower, but that car cost service didn't have this weeks incentives on it yet. Lastly how they brag then I got the guy to buy the special windshield wiper blade warranty for only 100.00, that cash went straight in to the beer fund, cause it costs us nothing the factory pays for them for the warranty period as long as you say they were streaking the glass and so on. It is still a fun game though if you like to haggle.

My new telemarketer answer is simple. I calmly ask them to just hold on a second while I get a pen I want to get your name right and your supervisors, so when I have you charged under the do not call law I want to be sure it is YOU, YOURSELF that gets to pay the fine!!! I already have your phone number and why you called recorded here so I just need your name, again, it wouldn't be fair if your colleague got charged instead of you....

It is amazing how fast they hang up.

This tactic has been working great for me lately, in fact, I have not received a telemarketers call since before Christmas.

When you see "unknown caller" or any number you don't recognize come up on your display, pick up the phone and answer it in your most official voice with "RCMP telephone fraud division, how can I help you?"

The next sound you will hear is a click or a beep as the person on the other end hangs up the phone as quick as they can to avoid the call being traced. Then they take your number off their list, and it seems they might be passing the info around since I went from almost a call or more a day to nothing!

Unfortunately it does not work for the "congratulations you've won a free cruise" or any other robo-calls.....

This tactic has been working great for me lately, in fact, I have not received a telemarketers call since before Christmas.

When you see "unknown caller" or any number you don't recognize come up on your display, pick up the phone and answer it in your most official voice with "RCMP telephone fraud division, how can I help you?"

The next sound you will hear is a click or a beep as the person on the other end hangs up the phone as quick as they can to avoid the call being traced. Then they take your number off their list, and it seems they might be passing the info around since I went from almost a call or more a day to nothing!

Unfortunately it does not work for the "congratulations you've won a free cruise" or any other robo-calls.....

Terrific idea JJ! I'll bet it works better than the goverment's 'Do Not Call List.' What a joke. I'm on the list and I still get just as many telemarketing calls as I did before.

When we 1st got married 47+ years ago we lived on the 4th floor of a Scarboro apartment building with NO elevators.

Not long after moving in an encyclopedia salesman somehow got my phone number and started calling me about buying some of his books. He called every night even though I told him I wasn't interested. After a week or so I was totally fed up with this guy and told him I'd changed my mind and now wanted to buy a set of his books and would he come over and bring everything he had including bookcases.

Never told him it was 4 floors with no elevator....

He arrived and started hauling six full sets of encyclopedias up the stairs plus a couple book stands and after he finished and was trying to catch his breath, I told him I had changed my mind again and no longer wanted them.

He hauled all his stuff back down the 4 flights of stairs, loaded everything in his car and left in a huff and never bothered me again.

Nasty on my part perhaps, but he wouldn't take NO for an answer.

The Ontario Gov do not call list is a law that has no teeth. Telemarketer managers think it's a joke. My brother manages one of these offices for a national company. There has never been a charge laid by the Crown for calling someone on the list I'm told, it's a joke.

I go into one of my many accents and confuse and frustrate the caller to no end until they hang up, then they put me on their do not waste your time with this guy list. Brother says they have one. No need to look at the incoming number, if I have to say hello more than once you know that their system identifies a connected call, routes it to a telemarketer that takes a few seconds before they say hello.

If you are in the phone book, use your initials for first name, when they ask for Mr. J.A. Doe you know it's right from the phone book.

Never enter a draw for a free new car, vacation or the like. They make the money selling entrants info to telemarketers. The telemarketers with the largest data base on the ones hired as subcontractors.

Just remember before you are very rude, these people are working crazy hours at minimum wage without benefits to earn a living. Off shore telemarketer are paid pennies. For those in Canada, and the trend is to bring these jobs back from Asia, they are not drawing social assistance, usually, and are paying taxes. As I said before not the greatest way to earn a living but at least they are working.

Not everyone has the means or ability to get a post secondary education, with manufacturing jobs going to those with University degrees this, and fast food is about all that's left.

Edited by Old Ironmaker