Ice Fishing Around Muskoka?

Cliu91

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to gain some insight on Ice fishing around the Muskoka area.

Me and a group of friends are heading up north and we want to partake in ice fishing. We are completely inexperienced and will most likely rent gear.

Do any of you have recommendations for fishing stores that may rent out ice huts for a few hours and will provide equipment?

I've also been reading that we will require fishing licenses if we wish to ice fish. Can we only obtain this through online means now?

Thanks

Yes you need a license to wet a line anytime of year and definitely consult some locals on ice conditions since there is likely a lot more unsafe ice than safe ice around there.

Better yet, wait a few weeks and youll have a lot less to worry about, since if you were to buy licenses now they would only be valid until the last day of '13

Find an outfitter or a guide. Than go out with them.

Judging by the types of questions you are asking, I have to assume you know very little about fishing, regulations, and ice safety. This time of year, with thin ice, that can be a very dangerous situation.

So as Joey mentioned, wait a few weeks.

There are a few guides on this board that will take you out. Likely supply all the gear. Maybe even lunch!!

Thanks for the quick reply gentlemen!

I forgot to mention that we would be heading out mid January for this event. We will be staying around the Gravenhurst area.

As for purchasing the license, when I order it online, I should wait until 2014 to purchase them, that way they will be valid for the whole year?

@N.A.W yes, we don't have alot of experience in Ice Fishing, but we like the idea!

Hopefully some guides will start to chiming in and we can discuss!

I appreciate all the advice from this board, it has really taught me alot.

Good luck out there. For your first few trips I'd recommend following other peoples tracks first. Not only will it lead to you potentially good fishing spots, but you'll also be confident it's safe.

Stop in at a few local tackleshops and talk to the shopkeepers, they'll be able to help with the area and local regulations. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help if you mention your just getting into the sport.

I've also been reading that we will require fishing licenses if we wish to ice fish. Can we only obtain this through online means now?

Thanks

Do you plan on fishing quite a bit in 2014? or just one trip with buddies to try ice fishing?

If so, get the fishing license, if not, then wait until February and ice fish without a license on February 15, 16 & 17. Keep in mind, conservation limits apply if you fish that weekend without a license.

Also, if you happen to be under 18 years of age, no license is required to fish in Ontario, but be sure to bring ID out with you to prove you're age.

Be safe, have fun and good luck!