Trying Steelheadibg this weekend

mike rousseau

Looks like a walk in the snow this morning,RIGHT Bill.LOL

Looks like a walk in the snow this morning,RIGHT Bill.LOL

Just remember Brian, the biggest factor bar none for late fall/winter steelhead is temperature. This time of year a 2 degree swing will usually turn the fish on.

If you've had a fresh dumping of snow that will have dropped the water temp several degrees. Usually the afternoon is best on days like this especially when it's sunny out.

Carry a thermometer with and check to see what the water temp is at different times. Jot that info down in a notebook for future reference, it can be very helpful.

Cheers

That's what I think too, Mike. I could lend folks my passport but then you'd have to look like a bearded dwarf with no means .... pretty sad I'd say.

You could lend them your birth certificate Roy if they don't mind carrying around a stone tablet.lol

Art

Good info guys for this Steelhead challenged individual, me. Tried last week on the Grand, suffice it to say it is still on my bucket list.

Every time I head out to get a species on my bucket list, Steelhead being one, I catch a cold, doe's that count against a skunk?

When I'm not targeting a fish, bam, I get my fish. First Musky trolling for Walleye, first Rainbow (can I count that as a Steelhead?) downrigging for Erie Walleye. First Shark jigging for Grouper. First Snook floating a shrimp for Sea Trout. First Sea Trout jigging for Snook!

So tell yourself you are going for something else and boom, you'll have one on.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Just remember Brian, the biggest factor bar none for late fall/winter steelhead is temperature. This time of year a 2 degree swing will usually turn the fish on.

If you've had a fresh dumping of snow that will have dropped the water temp several degrees. Usually the afternoon is best on days like this especially when it's sunny out.

Carry a thermometer with and check to see what the water temp is at different times. Jot that info down in a notebook for future reference, it can be very helpful.

Cheers

The dump wasnt major,but it was enough to start the water to change color again. :wallbash: I got some fish this morning Mike. Not going to get into details. Lets say,listening to advise on how to fish high waters, paid off. :good:

Thanks for the advise Mike. I know guys that have done great in the afternoon bite.

Edited by Misfish