Hilton Head Fishing

captpierre

make sure you get your license if you do, if you're staying in a plantation i believe each one has their own licenses as well.
there are lots of ponds throughout the island some fresh water that you can catch bass in, the brackish water ponds have sea trout
watch out for the gators haha, fishing the sound can be productive as well

Also get the state fishing regulations as well as a license. I took my medium action spinning outfit there years ago just in case. Fished from the piers with a hook, live shrimp hooked behind the eyes and a casting float caught me many Jack Travale, Mullet (bait for the locals) and a few I have no idea fish. I actually hooked into a Bat Ray that tested all my skill and nearly broke the rod at the blank. The cheap Okuma rod and Shimano 2500 really impressed me, I still use them, 20 years later. It was a blast and I landed it. The others on the pier were none to happy as they had to reel in for the 1/2 hour it took to land. A fellow netted it for me. It didn't bite off the line as it was hooked outside the mouth. I was hitting 12 for every 1 the guys with 2x2's and Penn reels did, but when they did it was a big fish. A few Sand Sharks up to 4 feet. Be sure to bring home some casting floats, they cast a mile if you ever do any live bait rigging up here.

Rinse the entire rod and reel very well with mild soap and fresh water everytime you use it. If you use any plugs etc, same thing, clean and dry them well before you put it in your box. Actually keep them separate until you know all the salt is off. I didn't the first time I went south and regreted it. Salt travels in a box many months latter when the box gets wet.

Have fun and slather up with the SPF and good glasses and hat.

Thanks Guys. Didn't think you needed a licence to fish salt water?

Each State may be different, some states freshwater and saltwater are separate, (Louisiana?). If I can remember back that far SC you did need one. Some charters in Florida the license is included in the price and the charter guy could issue it, again more than 10 years back.

Your going to get one anyway to fish anywhere inland. I have a minute here I'll check.

Johnny D

Captain,

Follow this link,

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fishing.html

Looks like there is a separate license needed for each body of water, one for salt and one for fresh.

There is an online application provided for licenses, which is convenient, who wants to waste even a minute of vacation time standing in some gov office.

Have fun.

JD

Oh my it's started snowing as I type, it's official.

Need a guide down there? I'm available. I'll even carry your bags, tackle, clubs, 24's, and I cook! Oh and I'll stand in line at the license bureau for ya.