Good length for floro leader?

Black_Blade

I got some 30 pound Seaguar leader material (got 30 pound PowerPro on my reel) Probably overkill I know since most of my fishing so far has been bass, but would like to target some pike, musky and walleye too. Just wondering what length of leader to make up and whether or not the Uni knot is good to use with this material?

:Gonefishing: Use 8-10" in stained water , 12-15" in clearer stuff.

uni knots work well.. if your using a snap swivel at the other end.

if you're using a spinning type of lure I suggest a ball bearing barrel swivel to join the two lines

with regular clinch knot.

you may tie direct to a non spinning lure ..like a plug aor jerkbait.. well balanced minnow/jig combo.

ZZZZZZZZING!!!

GOOD LUCK !

Randy

You don't wanna use a uni to uni with the lines you mentioned, difference in diameter is too great. I would use a small barrel swivel, Pline makes a strong small barrel swivel. As for length, pretty much what muskieman mentioned.

If your using an inline swivel, keep the leader short enough that your not reeling the swivel up to your tip when you cast. You'll ruin the tip eyelet in no time. If your not using a swivel, go with the uni-uni and make it as long as you want......I usually go a rod lenght.

For casting=short, Trolling=rod length.....that's just what I do though...

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

For bass the floro material is a bit overkill. Try 8 to 12lb at about 6 feet of floro with a uni-uni knot.For the toothy critters definitely go heavier than the 30. I'd double the pound test to 50 or 60 at 12 to 18 inches using a swivel. Good luck!!!

I've always kept my fluoro leaders lighter than my main line, on the assumption that I want to break off only the leader if I get snagged and can't work it out.

I agree with the others about the 30lb fluoro not being enough for pike, I use lighter fluoro for my spinning reels but those are used for fishing walleye & bass, not Esox.

Mike

This is pretty much what I use.

Bass, walleye, 15-20lbs.

Pike, 30- 40lbs, haven't had any break offs.

Musky 100-130lbs, mostly to prevent break offs with huge expensive lures and can kill the fish. And muskies are a different world all together I would up the PP to 80-100lbs as well, it all just fits together with the big reels, lures, heavy weights etc...

For length I usually go 2-4' for casting and 5-8' for trolling works good for me.