Red Cedar Lake info request

Beats

Hi, a friend and I will be going fishing for a few days on Red Cedar Lake, south of Temagami, in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has either fished there before or has any info on the lake. Im wondering about lake depth, how heavily its fished, general fishing info/experiences on the lake. I know there are pickerel, sm bass, perch, whitefish, and supposedly some lakers in there as well. Any info would be great.

I fished that lake about 7 years ago. Did good for walleye by the falls North East East and did pretty good for pike south east of the lake. Keep your eyes pealed for flotting logs, there was lots of them when I was up there.

I was there last May 24, but the weather was so bad that fishing was really tough, it snowed on the Sunday. We got into some Pike in the smaller bays but that was about it. There is alot of water to fish, I have a map of it , if you PM me your address I'll be happy to mail a copy of it to you.

Jerry

Beats,

I spend most of the summer on Red Cedar. Where will you be staying/launching?

We aren't completely sure exactly how things are gonna be yet, but so far it looks like we are going to be renting a 16 ft boat/motor from Temagami Riverside Lodge and most likely just camping on crown land around the lake for the few days we are there. We dont have a clue where we will be heading on the lake yet. But pickerel will be the main targeted fish.

OK, that's the southern portion of the lake. The best and closest spot for walleye and pike would be Campden Bay, at the very end of the bay. Look for the only cottage in the bay and fish that section in front of it. You'll be in 4 to 10 ft of water and at that time of the year the fish are still in the weeds. If the dams are open then try that area ahead of the dam. The lodge owners will supply you with a map. Good luck.

....Okay Beats I hope I can offer some useful advice. It's been a few years but I've fished out of Temagami Riverside Lodge (north camp) a few times. Loved the area and the accomodations fishing however was tough. I think the lake sees a fair bit of pressure and due to that we did all are walleye fishing in the evening and on through the night. Night time was very productive with some fish in the 5-7lb range. Typical walleye locations such as neck downs, saddles and rocky shoals all produced well especially if current was a factor and in the north arm it was common.

Throwing slim minnow crankbaits and mepps 3's and 4's did the job. Oh and this was always the first week of June when bass were out of season, go figure cause we nailed some beauts.

:Gonefishing: Many years ago I fished Red Cedar numerous times. Found the best eye spots to be what we called "the narrows". A narrow stretch of water connecting two parts of the lake on the NE end. Also Holdridge Creek. Caught most of the eye in eves and early morn. TOUGH fishing during day. As I said many years ago--1965 to 1980. Must have fished lake 20 times or more.

Beats , I put the map in the mail today so it should arrive some time next week. It was large and is laminated so it is difficult to copy , so i sent you the original, I just ask that you mail it back after. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

express168, dont worry, i will defiinately send you the original back as soon as I return. I have a fax/photo copier here, so I shoudl be be able to reproduce it no problem. I will try to produce a copy for myslef but I will deffinately send the orignal back to you. Thx so much for you genourous gesture.

Beats

• 9 months later...

We were there for May 24, 2007 as well and I can confirm that the weather was poor. It was our first time and it was darn cold especially in the mornings. Despite the weather, we had moderate success for walleye (at sun up and sun down) off the points near one of the islands which I believe is called Swan Island. Maybe one of the more experienced Red Cedar fisherman can correct me on this. I don't have a map of the lake so I can't be any more specific than that.

Although I would have never believed it, trolling along the shores with a red/gold Cleo (near Swan Island?) caught my friend a few nice walleyes.

We heading back this May for a second round and looking forward to it. Any chance I can get my hands on a copy of that map?

Thanks!