Just a folk tale?

Coach B

My brother (older of course) has been traveling to Ontario for over 15 years to fish and every time I go with him at somepoint he mentions someone catching an ealpout. What the heck is an ealpout???? Next week will be my fourth trip up there with him and I have never seen one of them. I'm thinking of calling Bull on him. If they are true, they give me a the heebie jeebies from their description.

Nemo's got it.

As with a lot of fish there are many common or local names: burbot, ling, freshwater cod, ling cod, lawyer, eelpout, loche, luch and I'm sure a few others. I think the scientific name still is Lota lota, but even those names change occasionally. They're found in just about every province and most northern states.

Rob

The term eelpout came from a suggestion that they look like a cross between an eel and a mudpout (catfish). They are the only freshwater member of the codfish family and are quite tasty.

I think I will. One of his stories is about catching one at night and the fish curling around his buddies arm when he reached down to pull it out of the water. That would be enough for me to stop night fishing - just thinking about it gives me the shivers. Just don't think I could eat one unless I was really, really hungry!

Edited by Coach B