Lake Vernon Report

northernpike56

Hi guys, I just got back from Lake Vernon, fishing was pretty good for a lot of smaller sized fish. Didn't catch any pike over 30 inches like I wanted to, but I caught a ton of 24-28" fish from the dock as well as from the boat. The best setup for me this week was probably a big sucker minnow rigged up with a bell sinker, a 10" stainless steel leader, and a big treble hook suspended roughly 4-5 feet under a big float. I also caught a lot of fish on this cheap daredevil spoon I had, until one pike broke the hook off (I guess thats why you go with the 'real' version, eh?). Spinners like mepps and blue fox also did really well.

291_zpsfb459b9d.jpg

304_zpsce498d2d.jpg

297_zps2dc2e6b1.jpg

308_zps27d7d120.jpg

This little hot rod pike I caught had a huge rip in his side. You can't see it in the pic because it was on his left side, but he didn't look so well. Behind the tear all of his skin was discolored, like he way dying. I threw him back but then he slowly came back up up-side down and splashing to the surface a few minutes later, so I jumped in the lake and grabbed him. This was the only fish I kept during the week, just because he looked like he was having a bad day (dying). It looked like a huge pike probably grabbed him.

311_zpsfbf2e83e.jpg

Some others:

302_zps7a96814a.jpg

310_zpse870e1b4.jpg

300_zps35cf1b3e.jpg

Also caught this walleye that had a really nice dark coloration on it. I caught him on a bass crankbait, casting it from my dock. It was the last thing I was expecting to hit, because walleye aren't even supposed to be in Vernon. Released, of course, so hopefully a population will eventually establish.

cottage2008_zpsd20a4926.jpg

Algonquin:

I also spent two days in Algonquin, given it's close proximity to Lake Vernon. While I was there, I just drove around all the roads leading off of highway 60, hoping I would find a dock or somewhere where I could shore fish. I caught a lot of smallmouth bass, but no splake or brook trout. Here is a really nicely colored one from the Tea Lake dam, right after the west gate of the park.

263_zpsa253b224.jpg