Post Cold-Front Monster Smallie

Slayingm

After nearly a week long brutal cold front with strong North-westernly winds blowing the past few days I knew I had my work cut out for me today in finding and catching some decent Simcoe Smallmouth. I had a client out on a Guide trip and he also knew the bite would be lite today. After spending nearly 30 years fishing Simcoe I knew that typically after water temps dropping over 10' and a multi-day cold front the smallmouth exit the shoals in 10-15ft of water I would normally see then this time of year under stable weather conditions. Even so I was stubborn only to hit some normally key spots to just validate the fish had moved. I ended up moving out to much deeper water (the steepest breaks) off the structures in the 25 to 40ft range and that proved to be the ticket today as the 1st fish was a chunky 4.5lb smallie. After getting into a few nice fish the 1st couple of spots we stopped off at, I headed to a 3rd spot and told my client to fire out the tube jig as far as he could and leave the bail open... 45 secs after a said that he hauled back on the rod and yelled out FISH-ON!!... I checked the depth and we were in 35ft of water. After some screaming runs a beauti 6.5lb Monster came into the boat after I slide the net under her. After a couple quick pics she was quickly released. The key today was understanding the fish movement after dramatic changes in the weather and in the this case going much deeper was the ticket to success. We also had some smallies coming out of 25ft of water to hit our jerkbaits. When fishing is tough change up your approach and get more fish into the boat.

20130816_114540_zps69d3a8b1.jpg

Good Fish'n and remember to be safe out there.... G.