Roof Racks For A Canoe

HyperActive

Hello friends,

I am driving a 04 Dodge Caravan.

I just have the standard roof racks on, I don't have a trailer hitch and there is no place to tie ropes to hold a canoe on the back end.

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to safely secure a canoe just using those racks or perhaps recommend a inexpensive system that will allow me to throw a canoe on top that is also safe.

Thank you,

I've done some research on this topic and you really do need bow and stern lines. I've seen a solution for the front of the vehicle where a small loop of strapping is secured into the body in the seam of the hood using a bolt and washers. I'll try and find a pic if this isn't clear. This would prevent uou having to find a tie point in the under body, causing the ropes to rub on the vehicle body and possibly mark the paint.

For the back without a trailer hitch you will probably need to find an under body tie point.

Speaking from experience I have a 16' scanoe that I throw on my roof of a 03 protege 5, at first I did a bow and stern line but then it got too much of a pain and as stated above there was some rope burn so I did without and have been doing so for the past 2 years and I've had 0 issues.

I have some ratchet straps 14' long and with a 1000lb SWW (safe working weight) so in reality they can withstand much more than they are rated, for safety insurance reasons. I run mine under my roof into the cabin area and strap them with the ratchet in my vehicle so if anything were to come loose I have the beginning and end in my car, as well as a way to tighten it up.

Also I just use the foam blocks and some 1" armaflex insulation for spots to keep it from rubbing my roof

I'd make sure the factory racks are secure to the roof or track rails. I've always used Thule racks that could handle four canoes easily (sitting on sides). There should be a tow hook under the van front and back as well for securing bow and stern lines. If there aren't any, Ainsely's suggestion of webbing bolted to the frame (be sure to use grommets as well)under the hood is what many of my friends do. An alternative to that are these Thule anchors which I have.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/water-sports-carrier-accessories/thule-quick-loop-strap-530-_-530999

It wouldn't be hard to fab something like these with strong tubing and static line. As well, I always use bow lines at the front to take some of the wind load off the roof racks as a strong side wind can really torque your canoe. The only canoe I don't use a bow line anchor is my 9' whitewater canoe.

Edited by woodenboater

I have a 2007 Caravan.

I bought the standard kit at MEC... it has the necessary foam blocks for starters. The two ratchet straps go from side to side and are all you need for short trips, IMHO.

I have a tow bar at the back to hook the rear straps onto. Of course, the strap you really need for highway driving is the one at the front, and there is absolutely no way to do this on a Caravan. You have to either buy or make fittings/straps that will be inserted under the hood. I got mine at MEC as well, but there are lots of "how-to's" posted online.

Hope this helps.

loop_strap.jpg

hood_strap.jpg

2 inch wide ratchet straps from ctc is all you need. one in the front one in the back. Ran SWO to LSPP numerous times at the going speed, never slipped or shifted. If you keep the front of the canoe just at the top of the windshield you get less wind underneath, better mileage and it doesn't look scary in thunderstorms with cross winds.

if you run the straps around / under the rack and then onto the seat then ratchet down nothing short of a bridge or tree limb will move it

look under the body, you'll find something ie. bumper supports

i've loaded canoes on the roof of everything from an old lumina to a mitsubishi eclipse with those foam pads, rope and ratcheting straps. there's always a way using a rope on the front and rear (a piece to the driver's side and a piece to the passenger side both front and rear) and one across the car/canoe through the window with a ratcheting strap. twist the strap so you don't get flapping at hwy speeds.

learn the trucker's hitch knot for the rope tie off points and wrap, place rags where you think the rope may rub on the bumper.

a properly secured canoe will move the entire vehicle if you rock it. (the canoe).

Raf's got it down!

Just remember... if you don't do it right, you are going to ruin someone ELSES day when it comes off and goes through their windshield. On Saturdays trip south, from Barrie to Toronto, I saw no less than 10 canoe carriers on the side of the 400 playing with ropes ... as well as parts of a nice green one in various lanes around Cookstown.

Raf's got it down!

Just remember... if you don't do it right, you are going to ruin someone ELSES day when it comes off and goes through their windshield. On Saturdays trip south, from Barrie to Toronto, I saw no less than 10 canoe carriers on the side of the 400 playing with ropes ... as well as parts of a nice green one in various lanes around Cookstown.

This is my biggest fear Irish,

I have never owned a canoe, I helped people load them before but that usually consisted of trying to look like I knew what I was doing as opposed to learning how to......properly

Thank you all,

Edited by HyperActive

I've got a 2000 Dodge Caravan and I tie my 14 foot Sportspal with ratchet style straps. I don't even bother to wrap the straps around the cross bars but just hook the straps to the holes that are already made in the supports that hold the crossbars. Been using this method for many years.

However, I have added foam to the gunwales of the canoe where they contact the roof rack. The foam I use is the stuff you can buy in rolls. This is the stuff that you put on the edges of a pickup when you want to install a fiberglass cab. The foam comes in a roll and is very sticky when the backing is removed. The foam also is great for when you lay your rod across the canoe. The foam protects the rod from getting boat rash.. It also prevents the rod from sliding when there is a breeze. I even added a small extra strip at each end of the laid down foam rubber strip as an added stopper for the rod when the wind gets a bit stronger. One roll has lasted me for over 20 years. I even have added the foam to the gunwales of my aluminum boat so I can lay my rod without worrying about boat rash when still fishing. The foam also reduces noise when laying the rod on the edge of the canoe or boat.

I have 2006 dodge caravan and I have always been able to find something to tie on both front and back but after seeing those thule quick loops, I just may go out and buy them because it sure would make things easier.

I have found you must get pretty far under the dodge to find a good spot to anchor your rope or ratchet strap