Waterford ponds this summer

ryan a harris

I have just stumbled across this place from a guy who came to my house and purchased some of my old gear. Told me these ponds have good fishing, I have 3 kids and I have been taking(2 of) them out alot this year. So my question is has anyone been there this year at? and if so how was the action?

We would be fishing from shore this year, boat should be all fixed up by next summer( I hope). Kids will be using simple spincast stuff with small tube jigs or worms with a boober. I would pack a few rods to see what this place is like. I was told, both good bass & pike fishing.

Any info as in good parking, boat launch, spieces I could catch, and possibly an area to start to fish at .

The ponds in Waterford mostly good bass and panfish fishing, actually. Although there are supposed to be a lot of pike there too. Check out the picture Rich has of a pike he caught there, its amazing.

So, for boat launch, Sorry I'm really not good with street names etc as I live in Burlington, but there is a gravelly boat launch off the (main) street, that looks like it has a decently nice grade. It is close to this bridge over two ponds, basically everybody launches their boats there so I'm sure someone can give you way better info. and for parking, there are spots all along the street there that you could probably leave your vehicle and trailer.

Areas to start fishing- those ponds are so cool because of the lily pads. they have completely open water that turns into a perfect line of lily pads, great places to either toss a whacky rigged senko, or drag a livetarget weedless frog through the lily pads. I remember the first time I went there with my uncle a long time ago, he showed me how to use the weedless frog through the lily pads and I caught the biggest fish of the day (2 or 3 lbs largemouth). So there are some big fish in there, plus I've caught a bunch of smaller ones from 0.5 to 1 pound with senkos as well.

One last thing, no offence to anybody that lives there, but Waterford isn't exactly the nicest area, and there seem to be a lot of thieves, so make sure you don't leave anything important/valuable in your car. I have heard of peoples cars getting broken into etc so just be careful and play it safe.

Good luck and post here if you catch anything cool!!

o, for boat launch, Sorry I'm really not good with street names etc as I live in Burlington, but there is a gravelly boat launch off the (main) street, that looks like it has a decently nice grade. It is close to this bridge over two ponds, basically everybody launches their boats there so I'm sure someone can give you way better info. and for parking, there are spots all along the street there that you could probably leave your vehicle and trailer.

Looks like there may be one here on Google Maps: 42.934527,-80.294419, possibly another here: 42.934621,-80.310429

Thats my backyard!

The pike fishing is nothing close to good here. They're a rare, probably close to extinct catch. We have major issues with meat hunters coming out here and taking the biggest predatory fish out, thinking its a good thing. I dont get that line of thought, but anyway, the bass fishing is alright and panfish off the charts.

Where are you coming from? If more than an hr drive, you live closer to better spots.

On mechanic street in waterford, the street where the conservation area is, there is a boat launch into the pond on the north side of the public ponds into "stump lake" which is seggregated from the other ponds.

The main set of public ponds has a launch next to the footbridge off alice street (start of shadow lake trail). Launches are free, gravel, and not so great.

The bass fishing as of the end of july hit its rock bottom point. Catching a few bass in a day became a challenge quick, from all the fishing pressure the ponds receive unfortunately.

Good luck, if ya need any more info PM me. The ponds are 20 seconds out my back door.

I'm coming from Brantford, looks to be about 30-40 min drive, I'm willing to give it a try. I have an ivite to good check these ponds this weekend. But of coarse, once I mentioned it to my wife she liad out our plans for the weekend coming up. I'm hoping to be able to check them out.

Thank you guys for all the input/info on the area and the ponds them selves. looking forward to adding some info the rest.

Definitely worth the trip from brantford.

You may also want to check out mohawk lake in brantford. No pike that I know of, but a half decent largie population. Like waterford, you're best off to hit it on a weekday.

Thats my backyard!

The pike fishing is nothing close to good here. They're a rare, probably close to extinct catch. We have major issues with meat hunters coming out here and taking the biggest predatory fish out, thinking its a good thing. I dont get that line of thought, but anyway, the bass fishing is alright and panfish off the charts.

Where are you coming from? If more than an hr drive, you live closer to better spots.

On mechanic street in waterford, the street where the conservation area is, there is a boat launch into the pond on the north side of the public ponds into "stump lake" which is seggregated from the other ponds.

The main set of public ponds has a launch next to the footbridge off alice street (start of shadow lake trail). Launches are free, gravel, and not so great.

The bass fishing as of the end of july hit its rock bottom point. Catching a few bass in a day became a challenge quick, from all the fishing pressure the ponds receive unfortunately.

Good luck, if ya need any more info PM me. The ponds are 20 seconds out my back door.

yea the launch next to the footbridge downtown is the one I mean, looks pretty nice to put a tin 14-16 ft boat in

yea the launch next to the footbridge downtown is the one I mean, looks pretty nice to put a tin 14-16 ft boat in

It works okay for smaller boats. Some dips and debris on the lower end of the ramp most days. The ramp into stump is much worse, it's more a gravel beach than a ramp. Backing in there you're best off to have your truck raised on 50" tires.

Rich,

Do they allow gas motors in the ponds outside the Conservation Area? I was just under the impression these small ponds were paddle or electric only. I do know they rent a few canoes at the Conservation Area.

I saw some folks ice fishing last year, and actually I can't remember if it was Izzumi or Labignon doing a winter ice fishing show for panfish a few years ago. It is a really nice little fishery and great little town, a few old Stelco guys there. But everyone has to remember a few good sportfishermen with good electronics could fish those ponds clean if they wanted to, please catch and release, want some fish to eat buy some in Dover or catch some on the big water.

Someone mentioned it's not the safest place as far as theft goes, what place is? Lock your car with the alarm on.

Best Chinese food in Haldimand Norfolk!!!!!! Can't wait for Pumpkinfest.

You're allowed up to 5hp on the conservation area.

The other ponds are currently unregulated. I wonder how many dummies have wrecked their 50 hp's going through there this year. Sheesh. It gets worse n worse. There was some drunks taking turns on a jetski one night.

And yes. Keep fish from somewhere that can take it. The collapse of the pike at the conservation area is proof of that.

• 7 months later...