Transom mount trolling motor cable extension

Hooked

I have a TRANSOM mount trolling motor but would like to sit the battery closer to the front of the boat. However the cable is not long enough. How should I go about that using an extension wire cable?

Thanks

Edited by Hooked

Haha, sorry about that. I had a conversation with my brother this morning about his bow mount and had it on the brain. Yes, it is a transom mount trolling motor.

Is there a way to change the title of this topic? I used to be able to but don't seem to be able to now?

Edited by Hooked

I did this this year with my trolling motor. It says you should use 6 gauge cable to make the extension. Cheapest way to go about this is to buy a set of jumper cables and cut the ends off (keep and eye on princess auto). Now depending on if you want it to be permanent or not will determine how you will make the connection to the existing trolling motor cables. I made a removable connection with nuts and bolts at my extension point. Make sure they are not touching obviously. Then clamp on O half O terminals on the end that is going to the battery. Fairly simple really.

Good Luck

Sounds easy enough. Thanks Bassman11. It just so happens I have some old jumper cables to use, the bad part is it is in the very back on my crawl space I just neatly piled in. :)

Check the gauge. Some of the cheaper cables are as small as 12 gauge which is pretty light for an electric motor.

i extended mine with 14/2 it works great so far ,been 2 yrs . i do believe you can go smaller gauge if you go to solid instead of strand wire .

works for me anyway

If you are running a 12 volt motor the general rule is 1 amp per pound of thrust. 14ga wire is rated for 15 amps. I wouldn't chance running a motor on 14 gauge wire.