flying with tackle

icceman

At the end of august I have a trip planned to nipigon. I will be flying In to thunder bay from toronto. The question is how do you pack your rods and tackle. There will be four spinning rods all 2 piece. Tackles been trimmed down to a couple of plano 3700 trays and some loose plastics in original bags. I figure that I can put the reels in my carry on and the tackle in my checked luggage. As for the rods I would like to put them with my carry on if possible. Figure if I put them in a shipping tubes with some padded ends it should be sufficient. Thanks for the input. Steve

I don't think that you can bring the rods as carry on. There are specific dimensions for carry on luggage and rods, even too piece ones, would be too long. You will need to check them. Just use a good quality rod holder (one that can take some punishment), or some ABS pipe.

You are probably okay taking your reels in the carry on. However, I would call ahead first just to be sure. I cannot think of any reason why you couldn't bring your reels in your carry on; but I would really hate to told that I cannot bring my reels in my carry on after I have already checked my luggage.

If you arrive early enough, you could always check your 'carry on' bag if for some strange reason they won't allow them. Make sure you give your self some time.

Edited by JohnBacon

When my friends and I flew to BC last fall, we put our float reels in our carry on. For the rods, I UPS’d mine a week before in a homemade PVC pipe + end caps + sponge inside at the ends (I wanted to make sure my rods were there when I was). My friends shipped theirs in a bazooka case on our flight and rods came out unscathed. I left a note inside my rod tube with my address in case the tube got lost on the trip home. I also wrote the address on the outside of the tube with permanent marker (The custom float rods I took were not cheap).

I’ve had friends fly with various airlines and with regards to reels, some accepted them no problem. Others required that my friends removed the lines from the reels completely (apparently lines could be used to tie people up). I travelled with air Canada and didn’t have a problem with lines on my float reels – I had a few spools of line in my check-in suit case in the event that I had to respool.

Hooks and lures (with hooks) in carry on is a no-no.

I’ve had friends fly with various airlines and with regards to reels, some accepted them no problem. Others required that my friends removed the lines from the reels completely (apparently lines could be used to tie people up). I travelled with air Canada and didn’t have a problem with lines on my float reels – I had a few spools of line in my check-in suit case in the event that I had to respool.

Hooks and lures (with hooks) in carry on is a no-no.

Good tip about the fishing line. I never would have thought of that. However, I don't think it would matter which airline you are traveling with. The airlines do not have anything to do with security; you go through the same security check point regardless of airline which airline you are traveling with.

Any difference in treatment would come down to the individual security person checking your bag. That person may, or may not consider the possibility of tying someone up with fishing line. Perhaps that one read Fifty Shades of Grey :whistling:

There was talk about no fishing line years ago, especially the superlines, but i personally have never been asked to remove the line and i generally travel with 4-5 reels in my bag. Experienced security will know what they are right away, it's the new ones who always want a physical inspection to see what they are.

You CAN have rods for carry-on on most airlines, i've seen hundreds of people with carry on rods with and without cases. What is more important is the size of overhead in the plane you'll be flying, so if you're in a small beechcraft, embriar, dash or other small collector plane, you will most likely need to gate check your rods AND carry-on anyways. If you're curious, a lot of these planes have a 17" baggage limit which means none of those "official carry on" bags will fit and they'll gate check them as you board. Those official bags are 20" 21", and 22" and those will fit in most other common planes. If your itinerary lists plane info, go from there to decide whether or not your rods can be carried.

For checked rod cases, your 2 piece rods will be no problem, the maximum baggage size for sports equipment is 115 inches, that's L+W+H in any shape you want. That would cover any rod you would want to travel with, i've seen dudes with 8' rod tubes in airports...no thanks. If you have very expensive lures, take off all the hooks and carry them, then buy new hooks before fishng or check the hooks. You can check any size fillet knife no problem, as well pliers and other tools. In the last year or 2, airport security has relaxed the tool restriction so you CAN carry most small tools in your carry-on now where before all tools of any sort were banned. If you're going to check the knives, there's no point in carrying pliers anyways, and you don't want to give security a reason to slow you down. If you lock your rod case, use a "TSA" lock or it will be cut, they are available anywhere. My rod case has been opened by security on every flight for years...it'll be resealed and a notice put inside. I just flew out a week ago and it was no suprise to find my rod case had been opened and it will no doubt be opened again on my way home.

These rules cover most airlines, i am not loyal to any carrier.

Like MJL said, make sure your bags are labelled with tags.. I always include a photocopy of my intinerary inside all my bags including carry-on just in case it gets misplaced at unexpected gate checks.

Thanks for the info guys. I decided on building a tube out of 3" pvc. This way if they do not let me take it as a carry on it can be checked and there should be no damage. I will post some pics once the project is complete. Again thank you for the information. Steve

Carry your reels and anything you absolutely can't live without in your carry-on bag. Check the Plano 3700s in your main bag but do not ever check the reels. That's just inviting trouble.

Bring a roll of clear plastic packing tape or duct tape in your checked bag to fix any cracks that develop in the 3700s en route. It happens now and then, so if you have the tape, at least you can make a quick repair and get back to business.

Obviously, metal items like pliers, hook disgorgers, knives, multi-tools and all fluids need to be checked.

The situation with rods is less predictable. Short, compact rod cases can sometimes be brought aboard as carry-on, but it really depends on (1) the type of plane used and the size/capacity of its overhead bins, and (2) the mood of the airport gate agent or the aircraft cabin crew on a given day. Sometimes they're accommodating, sometimes they're not. The trouble is, there is no consistency with this.

Also - note that not all overhead bins in a given airplane are the same. Even within the same aircraft, some may be slightly larger than others, and others will be partially obstructed by onboard aircraft equipment. You can check ahead of time by looking up your flight on seatguru.com -- it will inform you if your overhead bin is partially obstructed or if there are other issues with your seat. But understand that if there's a last-minute equipment change (as does occasionally happen), you could easily wind up on a different type of plane and that all goes out the window.

When I worked with the fishing show, we just made a habit of checking the rods in proper, protective tubes right from the start. It was less hassle and headache all the way around. If you go this route, allow a few extra minutes at the airport because you may be directed to drop the tube off at special baggage services. Obviously, ensure your name and flight info is all over the tube. I'd insert a piece of paper with your contact info inside the tube as well. And, stuff in a couple of socks to keep the rods from bouncing around too much.

I've checked rods on flights that went all over the map, generally without problems. But bottom line is, don't take anything to the airport that you can't afford to lose. You never know.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

shipping ahead is a viable option if you are flying into a major destination....flying into northern areas and I wouldn't risk it...I moved to northern BC, and a few other friends to northern AB and the guaranteed express deliveries are not applicable in these areas with any of the shipping companies (dhl, ups, purolator, fedex, cdn post)...it's a crap shoot when it shows up

in the northern areas I find greyhound to be the cheapest most reliable, as long as they have a route up there, your stuff will get there on the next bus

I'm not sure if thunder bay would get daily deliveries from the big shippers, I'd make double sure you ship well ahead of when you need them there....i had my car breakdown in thunder bay, the whole city seemed to shut down at 430 LOL...was not a fun couple days waiting for a starter to be delivered

I was allowed to bring ice fishing rods/reels onboard as carry on...they just requested that there be no hooks...they did not ask to remove the line...you might be allowed 2 piece rods, just make sure they are properly packed together

I have a 7'6' white pvc tube I use for checking in 1 piece rods, the cap must be removable, and every time I need to open the cap and take all my rods out for inspection...they want to look inside and see a bare tube, and then see individual fishing rods...i even have to remove the rods from the rod socks for inspection sometimes but not always....takes a good 15-20 mins, so get there early for that

I've flown all 3 carriers to Thunder Bay from Toronto over the years. All have taken the rods as checked in for me. I'm using a 4" x 6' PVC tube so never considered carry on :). I've never had to open it for inspection, instead you have to take it special baggage handling and they xray it there (so add a few extra minutes for that part of check in). Air Canada said they might charge me a couple times but never did. Basically they say second bag is billable BUT there's exceptions for sports equipment including rods. Like the others have said - check the latest info for whatever carrier you're using though as they like to change the rules every week it seems.

I've always carried on my reels with line and have never even been questioned. Planos go into my luggage - tape them closed just in case (had a jig box pop open one trip - PITA). Might have to watch your weight though - those jigs and weights add up (50lb limit usually), now a days I keep a set of jigs/weights at my parents place in TBay so I dont have to bring them up anymore, just cranks and the like.

Only problem I've had is when Porter seemed to lose my rod tube - they were just about at the point of buying me new rods since I was leaving for the lake 2 hours after the flight so couldn't get my rods on the next flight up but then the guy working the front desk went on the plane and realized that a white PVC tube matches the white conduits in the cargo department exactly so no one saw it leaning on the wall - I wrapped it in some coloured tape for the next trip.

Edited by TbayBoy

Only problem I've had is when Porter seemed to lose my rod tube - they were just about at the point of buying me new rods since I was leaving for the lake 2 hours after the flight so couldn't get my rods on the next flight up but then the guy working the front desk went on the plane and realized that a white plano tube matches the white conduits in the cargo department exactly so no one saw it leaning on the wall - I wrapped it in some coloured tape for the next trip.

Yup...Same experience but at Pearson. After a short search, the baggage guys got it back to me. I think I'll paint my tube bright orange for next time.LOL

Edited by MJL