Braided Line

FloatnFly

so i got out to the pier last night to see if any salmon are lurking yet, no deal. but i did have an issue with my line, the spool of line started to free spin on the reel spool, 15lb braid p-line has anyone else had this issue on a spinning reel?

on a side note, unspooling and respooling line with no flashlight and then trying to tie a surgeons knot in the dark, is nomt recommended lol, had to use the light from my ipod to try and see, only lost about 20yrds of line due to the birds nest from unspooling

I suspect that you tied the braid directly to your spool. Braid tied directly to a spool will spin.

You should either take the line off the spool to the knot carefully( a big yard is the best) and add a piece of electrical tape over the knot then crank everything back up. This will prevent line from spinning. Or add some mono to your braid to fill the spool up properly, then remove all the line from the spool and attach the mono to your spool first then reel back up. I do the latter.

With 150yd. spool of braid as the norm I have my reels set up with enough backing that 75yds of braid fills the spools properly. this way I can fill two reels with one spool of braid. My new baitcasters have holes in the spool to attach the line and this eliminates line spin.

Good luck,

Steve

Electrical tape or a few yards of mono will work just fine. Lucky you didn't hook up with a fish because you would have gotten spooled, lol!

lol i woulda put on my cloth glove and started hand lining :rofl2:

or try to snap my fluoro leader

Edited by FloatnFly