pickerel river and trailer bearing questions

Bass Tard

Hi guys, this Saturday we're heading up for our first stay on the pickerel river at pine grove resort. We met them at the london boat and fishing show, and they're accepting of the fact we have a bernese mountain dog, so everyone's happy. : )

I'm wondering if anyone is from the area or has been up there, stayed there and can offer any advice. I really hope we can get into some pickerel, I stayed on the river once before at cedar village and all we could find were small mouth. Don't get me wrong, I love those buggers too.

Also, jacked up there trailer the other day and noticed I have s smallamount of play in the wheel top to bottom. Is this cause for concern, and would filling the bearing buddies be of any help? Thanks

Ken

Check your nut first,and if loose snug it up,than back it off enough that the wheel turns.Now check for top to bottom play.Filling with grease is always good ,but will not stop the play in the wheel.

Edited by davey buoy

Like Dave said. Tighten the nut snug,then back off til you can get the pin in the first hole.you can. Bearing buddies are good. I like them as you cant over pack the bearings. Just squeeze in til the grease comes out the little pee hole.Slight play is norm. if it,s real sloppy,you need to replace the total inners. Seals,washer and bearings.

If you still have sloppy play,then it,s time to check the hub. May be worn from bad maintenance.

As for your fishing question. No idea,but have fun and a safe trip.

Edited by Misfish

If one (HUB) is bad, replace both at the same time as they are probably the same age. In fact, the best is to buy 3...use the third to mount your spare on and you'll be golden.

Thanks guys. I just went to the garage and had another look, the wheels spin quite freely andont really make unusual noises, no grinding, or squeaks. Its just a long trip, I worry about stuff like this..

I'm confident the fishing will be good, looks like its going to cool down a bit over the next couple of nights!

Its just a long trip, I worry about stuff like this..

Do yourself a favor and pull the bearings, wash all the old grease out and then carefully inspect them for any pitting or discoloration; if any replace them.

After packing the bearings with fresh grease and back in the hub; install the nut and tighten to approx 20 foot pound of torque. Loosen the nut one full turn and then tighten firmly by hand until you can insert the cotter pin. There should be a small amount of play in the hub/wheel; this is to allow for expansion as the bearings warm during driving. To tight is just as bad as excessive play. On a 14" wheel a 1/16" would be about the max amount of allowable play, a 1/32" is about perfect.

Bearing buddies are great; but nothing beats a proper wheel bearing servicing.

My shop is in the South end of London (Bessemer Road) and I'd be more then happy to do the wheel bearing pack for you.

If you're interested I could do it tonight after I close the garage; it'll cost you a couple of beers. LOL

519-681-3844

Dan

Hi Bass Trap, the walleye fishing this spring was excellent and right now it's OK but it's the summer and it traditionally slows down. We have had our most success at dusk and believe it or not around 10 - 11 am. Early in the season we found minnow imitating baits the best option, Lucky Strike Pointers are my favourite but X-Raps were also producing. Now worms are working, and no fancy presentations.

One thing that is really noticeable this year is the amount of minnows, I have never seen so many, especially in back bays that we are flipping for largemouth. Even though I have not tried this method, I might this weekend but if you find a back bay with minnows, and it's hard not to, just troll the edge at dusk and into the dark with baits that are similar size. I suspect the walleye are cruising these bays because it would sure be easy pickings for them.

Enjoy Pine Grove, never been there but have heard they are nice people and the resort looks nice.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks guys! Dan, thanks so much for the offer! I would have taken you up on it if I had the time!

Smokestack, thanks for the advice. What's hot right now?! Will smallies be easy to find up there? Pike? Plan on throwing a lot of spinner baits along shorelones and 3“ grubs. Maybe 7" worm if the water presents itself. I'm so excited!