Rice Lake Walleye Open

Steelcat

My father, my brother, and I arrived at 797-BOAT Rental at 6am. We were surprise to see there were already a large number of boats already fishing. We got our boat at around 615, and immediately head to a spot far away from the crowd (we hate too many boats around while fishing)~! The wind was strong and the waves were a bit rough, but we managed to control our drift speed by lowering our anchor half way down. We were using jerkbaits and after 10 minutes of casting, I hooked up an out of season bass. 20 minutes later, we caught a 16 inches Walleye, 3 more casts later a 25 inches Walleye~! We all lost at least a couple walleye each, they were so aggressive that they chased our lure right beside our boat. 15 minutes passed and my dad suddenly yelled "Fish on~! It's heavy~!" Our heart rates immediately speed up~! As he reel in I saw the fish, it was HUGE~! It kept on fighthing and trying to dive under the boat. My dad managed to keep it under control. After 5 minutes of battle, we finally net it; to our surprise, it was a 35 inches Muskie (first for our family)~! It is very rare for anyone to catch a Muskie near Bewdley. After that excitment, all the fish seemed to disappeared. We had a theory that the Muskie were trying to feed and chased away all the fish :P Overall, we caught 3 Walleyes (the last one was 14 inches), around 10 Crappies 5 of them by jerkbait, 5 OOS Largemouth, and a Sunfish.

A cute little Sunfish

P5121379a.jpg

Crappie

P5121373a.jpg

The 25 inches Walleye

P5121371a.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report. Thats a nice pickeral. We were thinking about going to rice for crappies and pickeral but declined due to the decline in the pickeral population. Though it looks like there are still alot of pickeral in rice.