hooking minnows for pike

Hi guys. I am going fishing for pike tomorrow with live minnows (around 4 to 6 inches) but have one issue that I can't seem to perfectly resolve. This issue is the number of pike that keep on getting off after I have hooked them.

I always wait a decent amount of time before setting the hook in order for them to swallow the minnow, so I don't think that is the problem.

What have you guys found is the best way to hook minnows for pike? and also, do you have any preferences on the style of hook you use?

For me, I have been hooking the minnows through the upper lip with a treble that the hooks seem to bend inwards a little bit but I've noticed that quite a few of my pike keep on getting off when hooked. Any suggestions? different areas to hook the minnows? different styles of trebles to use?

Thanks

Matt

Though I dont have a lot of experience, I saw on Charlie Wray's show years ago thay predator fish attack head-first at their bait most of the time. Since then I have always hooked live bait through the eyes and let me tell ya your next post will be about removing deep hooked fish if you try it!

Though I dont have a lot of experience, I saw on Charlie Wray's show years ago thay predator fish attack head-first at their bait most of the time. Since then I have always hooked live bait through the eyes and let me tell ya your next post will be about removing deep hooked fish if you try it!

thanks so do you think a big single hook would be better then?bait-minnow-lips.jpg

somewhat like this, except both the minnow and hook would be a lot bigger

I always use either a jighead (shameless plug for Due North Lures affordable and effective jigheads ;) ) or a big #2 or #3 circle hook, right through the eyes.

With live bait, i always have better hookups & landed fish with a single hook.

Most of my fishing for pike with live bait was done using a bobber or slip bobber. Minnows, suckers, perch, got hooked under the dorsal fin. If casting or trolling? thru the lips.

Basically the same way I fished with live bait for bass, and I have used minnows bigger than 6 inches for bass. Not sure what the cause of your hookup problems are? I was generally quick on the trigger when I got a hit, bass or pike. A decent size bass has no problem getting a 4 - 6 inch minnow in it's mouth, and a decent sized pike's mouth is much bigger.

A lot of the hooks I used came pre-snelled with wire leader and I am not sure of the hook brand? Eagle Claw? but I also snelled my own using Mustad 3407 hooks, both worked well.

A pike's mouth has teeth and more hard areas than a bass, don't be afraid to stick the pig. Always thought it was pretty cool to pitch a big chub on a bobber into a pocket in the lilies and watch the bobber sink like a rock, the pike had the bait before the bobber could settle.

No problems with hooks, snaps and crimps on leaders? yes, use quality gear. A decent sized hook also, 3/0 - 0/6 should be fine.